Tilt & Slide Patio Door Top Runner Replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The plastic top glides on my door, which was installed about 7 years ago, broke last year.

I approached 3 door/window repair companies local to me but all of then said they couldn't obtain replacement parts and a new door was the only solution.

I have now found a supplier online of the Siegenia - top glides (with key) which appear to be a direct match for the broken parts. From the review on their web site it looks to be a relatively simple DIY job once you know what to do.

I have looked at the runner that the glides fit into which is open at the bottom. The runner is fixed to the main frame by what look like Phillips screws the faces of which are facing toward me when I look at the door from the inside and might therefore need some sort of offset bit.

There is insufficient space between the end of the runner and the wall to slide the replacement glides in place. Am I right to assume that I need to release the runner, either completely or partially, so that I can make the space required?

Also, once the glides are in place how do I fit them to the pin on the door to secure the door so it doesn't fall in when opened?

Hope that makes sense.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi, thanks for the reply.

I have obtained the necessary gliders from an online source.

My problem now is how to loosen/remove the channel in which the gliders run.

The 2 images show the location of the screws holding it in place.

I have tried to undo one screw, the first image, and have got so far but I am worried I will burr the screw head if I try any more as I have to push the channel upward to gain purchase on the screw and this of course tightens the grip of the screw as it's at an angle.

The plastic channel is a one piece construction so the only way to access the screws is from the front. I bought a flexible screwdriver extension but the angle isn't right.

The only other alternative I can think of is an ofsett hand tool (I assume the head is a phillips) but the gap between the 2 sides of the channel is quite small so not even sure if that would fit if the head piece is too long from where it bends (hope that makes sense).

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

If it is like mine the white bit of the channel clips off, Try a Knife. Once you get it started it is easy. Once off there should be holes on the opposite side of the channel.

hope that helps[/b]

Sponsored Links
Hi, thanks for the really helpful reply.

Had a sudden flash of inspiration last night whilst trying to work out how they got the channel screwed in initially and concluded that there had to be an access hole in the channel over the screw head to allow screwdriver access.

Checked this morning by running my finger along this inside of the channel and this seems to be the case.

Your reply endorses what I thought and your comments about the white cover piece are really helpful.

Hope you don't mind me asking a couple more questions.

Did you have to completely remove the channel or just loosen one end sufficient to be able to bend it away and slide the gliders in?

Was it a relatively simple job to fit the door brackets to the gliders? My understanding is that you just present the restraining brackets at the top of the door to the gliders and push them on. The key only being required to unlock the brackets is required at a later date.

Would that be a fair assumption of what's' involved?

I assume it's a 2 person job? My wife insists she should be able to hold the door when it's tilted but I'm a bit concerned at the weight on her arms, especially if it takes a bit longer than estimated.

Finally, did the white cover piece clip back on without too many problems?

Yes simple job
2 men. or 1 man and 1 wife
I Took all screws out. You might not have to
It is just a matter of pushing bracket into glider, screwing channel back
regards

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back