Treated Pine vs Engineered soft wood for windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I'm having my original single glazed timber windows remade as double glazed timber units.

So far I have enquired with two companies. One company says their default position is to use 'treated pine' and the other uses an engineered soft wood.

Does anybody have any thoughts on which wood would be better, or what the advantages/disadvantages are of the two?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Hardwood or nothing for me.

That doesn't answer my question.

But if you are going to make such a black and white comment please be kind enough to qualify it. What is wrong with having windows made from either treated pine or engineered soft wood?

Sponsored Links
To be honest I haven't had anything to do with engineered wood but in my experience modern wood is rubbish, I have seen pine windows rot out in under 2 years (granted they only came pre primed and the owners never glossed them as they were told to do).

It might be worth researching Acoya wood (have a google) I believe its garenteed not to warp, twist or rot for 30 years.

Personally I'm a PVC guy, I cant be arsed with all the maintenance with wood.

Engineered will be better, they will use small clears laminated together, so stronger and more stable.

As to softwood, if it's properly pressure treated, it will outlive you.

The problem is shysters making poorly or even untreated windows, slapping a bit of paint on, and then everyone say's "well softwoods s**t innit".

High performance Nordic windows are all made out of softwood, mostly engineered.

Thanks Aron, very helpful.

Both companies have a good rep and one has been around for 30 years, so hopefully neither supply rubbish.

Is it worth me finding out exactly what they mean by 'treated' pine?

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back