Trickle vents and friction stays Pain in the ass customer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have sold a customer a pair of aluminium french doors and some aluminium windows. (Supply only)

He gave me the sizes and everything he needed, they've been made and delivered.

He said he will not pay because there are no trickle vents on the windows (he did'nt mention them on ordering and it's not written down on his drawing)

He also says there should be friction stays on the french doors as these are also required by buidling regs.

He never mentioned that he wanted friction stays and it's not on his drawing. I didnt know wether it was new build or new for old, I just ordered what was on his order.

Before I take things further, was I supposed to put t.vents on all the windows and f.stays on the french doors as standard?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Personally I would say no, As a supply only job you could only give him what he asked for.
Do you have a signed contract or any other paper work?
As you say unless he specified it was a new build you would have no way of knowing.

If it wasn't for the fact he is withholding payment I would probably just give him a set of restrictors and maybe some vents too (assuming they are not colored Ali vents).

As he is withholding payment though I would probably just offer to supply the parts at cost price.
Good luck to whoever actually ends up retro fitting the vents into Ali frames though :eek:

Just to add Ive never heard of friction stays to be required on French doors for new build. I cant see why that would concern building regs at all.

MW always seems to get the sh*t customers. :mrgreen:

Anyway, his missus is a lawyer - shouldn't he be asking her about the legality of it all? :confused:

Sponsored Links
There are many different kinds of Lawyers joe, Like many different kinds of Doctors.

We will give him the vents and stays for free, I just wanted to know about the regs. Thanks for your help.

I wouldn't go giving them to him for free with him being an arse about paying. He sounds like the sort that given an inch will want a mile.

If you straight up offer to give him the parts I expect he will demand you fit them too.

Suppliers like you should get your backsides in order and start educating themselves a bit more as to the Regs and as to what they should be offering. This thread is so typical if the whole industry. When you sent him the drawings for his approval it would have shown that these items weren't included. You did send him drawings for approval didn't you? :rolleyes:

I'm not a supplier! It was a one off for an existing customer who we did a house full of fascias for.

It was more like a favour to which I am regretting

There are a standard set of questions that should be asked when dealing with ordering doors and windows.

The first being 'is this new-build?'

This throws up other questions, in particular trickles.

Also the positioning and location of the windows means that some glazing may need to be toughened. Like when b'regs state that any glazing below 800mm of FFL should be toughened etc.

Size of sashes is also an important question to ask, i.e. 'standard drop' on top openers etc.

Other questions like colour of furniture, obscured glazing and what type, colour and size of d/g space bar, sill sizes, are any knock-ons needed for plastering space etc, are all questions that suppliers (should) ask customers.

Whilst you are just the go-between, these are conversations I have with my window company regularly and should have been asked at some point by a pro'.

Naivety aside, if you delivered what was on the drawing then he must pay for this.

I'm not a supplier! It was a one off for an existing customer who we did a house full of fascias for.

It was more like a favour to which I am regretting
You're supplying it aren't you? In which case, favour or not, you're a supplier. Unless you're gonna ask the right questions, please stop before you give the glazing industry any more bad mouth.

Bit harsh there guys!

Mwroofline is a fellow frequent poster who comes here on here to help people out in his spare time too judging by the number of posts. He also seems to specialize in rooflines so I cant see him giving the glazing industry a bad name.

When customers want things fast to make their extensions water tight I too sometimes skip a few basic checks (something I really should reconsider) Have you guys never been pushed by a customer for speed and skipped a few questions too?

Can anyone clarify the point on friction stays required for French doors? Personally I have never heard of it.

I’m not aware of any requirement for friction stays on French Doors for new build or extensions or replacement.

If replacement then trickle vents would only be required (by law) if the existing ones already had them, Part F recommends their fitting but it is not mandatory. If new build or an extension then they would normally be required, depending on the ventilation open area available from other windows for the room in question.

Have you guys never been pushed by a customer for speed and skipped a few questions too?.

Yes, I have had my fingers burnt in the past and still do occasionally.
In no way was i giving it the big one merely pointing out what customers expect.
However, it does not mean my professional obligations are forfeited.
If it was a case of handing over the customers' specification straight to the window company, then I can understand the gripe.

But, we are all paid pro's and there is an element of trust whereby the customer expects a pro to know his stuff.

I would still argue if I was WM, that it is the customers fault for not being more explicit.

I’m not aware of any requirement for friction stays on French Doors for new build or extensions or replacement.

If replacement then trickle vents would only be required (by law) if the existing ones already had them, Part F recommends their fitting but it is not mandatory. If new build or an extension then they would normally be required, depending on the ventilation open area available from other windows for the room in question.

...and even then the dreaded TVs not required if the windows lock in a part open position.

Yes but night vents are not allowed to be passed as a TV, I believe it needs to be a permanent vent because once the bco or Fensa/certass inspector leaves you'll close the window because it's cold and hey presto you have no background ventilation

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back