UPVC Aubi 05058 Window Lock Failure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our 10 year old UPVC windows are fitted with Aubi 05058 locking mechanisms. We have just had an incident where the mechanism (centre spindle gearbox) has sheared inside upon closing a window. This leaves the window locked at the offending catch. We have fitted a new gearbox and on stripping the old one, the design looks delicate. Prevention is much less painful that cure when this happens.

The question for you professionals is please:
a) has the gearbox design be strengthened in the last ten years
b) should I replace the gearboxes before they fail
c) do they wear inside and are we likely to see other windows doing the same

Thank you for your expert views gentlemen.

Sponsored Links
i would suggest that if the window needs adjusting and maybe harder to lock then maybe this could put more pressure on a gearbox.

Our 10 year old UPVC windows are fitted with Aubi 05058 locking mechanisms. We have just had an incident where the mechanism (centre spindle gearbox) has sheared inside upon closing a window. This leaves the window locked at the offending catch. We have fitted a new gearbox...

I have two windows now unable to open due to failed Aubi gearboxes. How did you get the window open to get access to change it?

Sponsored Links
Our 10 year old UPVC windows are fitted with Aubi 05058 locking mechanisms. We have just had an incident where the mechanism (centre spindle gearbox) has sheared inside upon closing a window. This leaves the window locked at the offending catch. We have fitted a new gearbox...

I have two windows now unable to open due to failed Aubi gearboxes. How did you get the window open to get access to change it?

If mine are anything to go buy, you will need to remove the glass to be able to flex the frame passed the locking pin. You will know if the top or bottom is the cause. Our window did not have enough room to get anything in to retract the lock. If you are not a practical person, the Window Doctor or similar may be your best best. Good luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back