UPVC door not closing properly near keep end

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Experts,

I have a upvc glass door which shuts only if i lift the door a little using the door handle, otherwise it touches very slightly to the bottom keep end in the door frame. Once shut it's fine, but am worried if i carry on like this , it will get worse. I have seen some online video's about adjusting using the allenkeys, but can't seem to find a video that has got the same door hinges as mine. I am attaching the pics of the hinges that i have in my door, please advice how do i go about fixing the problem.

any help greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
Looks like the washers in your hinges are wearing down.
It you loosen the visible screw this will allow you to tap the pin up and out.
Swap all the top and bottom washers over and you should be good.
The washers may go inside the hinge so you may have to take all 3 pins out and take the door off to do this.

This should give you a couple of mm, If you need more you would need to heal and toe the door.

Looks like the washers in your hinges are wearing down.
It you loosen the visible screw this will allow you to tap the pin up and out.
Swap all the top and bottom washers over and you should be good.
The washers may go inside the hinge so you may have to take all 3 pins out and take the door off to do this.

This should give you a couple of mm, If you need more you would need to heal and toe the door.

Thanks Gazman16, I will try your solution over the weekend, but do you know if i was to just put new washers instead of swapping them, do i need to buy any special brand, quality or size ?

Not really just a plastic/nylon washer of the correct size would do.
They are only there to stop metal grinding on metal.

Sponsored Links
Not really just a plastic/nylon washer of the correct size would do.
They are only there to stop metal grinding on metal.

Thanks Gazman. I have ordered below, hopefully one of them will fit in.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0075WP40W (Nylon Washer Selection - Pack 60 - Metric Washers M3 M4 M5 M6 M8 M10 Natural Nylon 6.6)

will let you the outcome

Gazman16 : I tried to put the washers i ordered above into the hinges, was able to open the hinges , but the above washers did not fit(just figured out they are called plastic Bushes not washers) , and after opening the hinge , the existing worn out washers look a bit like mushroom shaped or "T" Shaped washers. Not sure what their actual name is. I tried to look online, but am unable to find these mushroom shaped ones. Do you know what they are called and any pointers to next steps. I even called thewindowdoctor, but they didn't turn up...may be they are not intrested in small jobs. Also if i order new hinges, the holes may not line up exactly hence am a bit hesitant to order replacement hinges. This property is in slough, any ideas as to my next step ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back