UPVC window frame and plaster gaps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening :)

I wanted to remove mouldy and cracking sealant from around a double glazed window and replace it. I expected the sealant to be just a shallow bead but it turns out that it was used to fill all the way around the windows about 6mm, but also filling some pretty large holes at the corners which seem very deep (I've pulled a load of sealant out). Additionally the window frame doesn't go all the way to the top, so not sure how to rectify this either...

As it stands I've completely removed the sealant from one side of the window from top to bottom and am wondering what to fill the gaps with. I've some generic filler that I was going to use until I got to the massive hole at the top. I have read in another post about using repair plaster instead, but I'm not sure how to create a backing for it in the big hole. Ideally I want to create a clean finish up to the window and perhaps a thin bead of sealant.

I'd be really grateful of any suggestions!

Sponsored Links
Decorators filler, often call caulk or acrylic, its not like silicone which can't be painted on, this stuff is water based so is made for this type of gap, its flexible too.

Tape around the edge of the window and just fill the gaps, use your finger to finish off, the corners would probably need some sort of flat putty knife or scraper to get a flat finish

Yes either of those 2 but I would steer clear of own brand stuff, spend a bit more and get a brand name, it's also dead easy to work with and get smooth, will take a while to start setting over a day to fully cure, it'sywater based so can be wiped off while still curing

Sponsored Links
I dis-garee, painters caulk will never look flat and proper.

I would fill it with easifill to level and sand smooth, then apply a thin bead of painters caulk to join the wall to the frame.

Can you feel any breeze above the window frame? I'm not an expert on window fitting, buy maybe some expanding foam above would be beneficial, and would also give something for the filler to sit against?

It's a little cold but no breeze.

I think I can build up layers of a filler then sand.

So my trial fill with a solid filler cracked a little while after it set.
I'm guessing that this is because of temperature changes causing the window frame to expand and contract.

So my current plan is to fill the large holes in the corners with expanding foam, make the current plaster line straight with a solid filler leaving about 5mm gap, then bead the gap with acrylic to give a flexible seal.

My only concern is that the gap is going to be reasonably deep in places and that the acrylic I have states that the gap should never be deeper than it is wide... I'm assuming that this is because if you *fill* the gap you'll get much shrinkage when it cures, but if I'm only bridging the gap I'm hoping it's going to be alright...

Let's see how it goes I guess!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back