UPVC Window not shutting on one side?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Opened window yesterday and when i went to close it, one side seems to of dropped or something as one side is fine the other side stays out from the frame slightly and i cant close the window, any advice would be great

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
seems the hinge side when facing window it is the right hand side, when try to close the window is away from frame on that side

Its a worn or faulty hinge then, it can be one of 2 things...

1/ When opening and shutting the window, notice there is a black or sometimes grey nylon guide that slides up and down the channel in the hinges, you'll also see on the same guide a tiny little slot headed screw, sometimes the guide snaps right across at this point, its a weak point and with age its a common failure, it leaves half the guide over at one end and the other half moves with the window, this often throws the opener out of line and it looks skew wiff.

2/ If its not that then open the window right out, have a look right in the corner of the hinge and you should see what looks like a 'V' shaped cup, either made out of plastic or even pressed steel, as the hinges scissors together when you close it a little 'V' shaped pointer on the opener locates into this 'V' shaped cup on the frame, this holds the hinge side tight on the rubbers. Sometimes with a worn hinge the 'V' shaped pointer doesn't locate in the cup but tends to sit on the outside of it, this then stops the window shuting tight on to the rubbers creating a gap. With the window nearly shut you should just be able to see if its locating or not, a good test is at this point is to get someone to go outside and to gently thump the corner in, then try shutting it

i cant see anything that looks snapped, and both sides of the windows seem to reach same point with the v corners, just seems to go no further then i have took some pics uploading now

IMGP9697_zpsed2fa106.jpg

IMGP9696_zps4de1408c.jpg

IMGP9698_zpsd7a6f066.jpg

IMGP9700_zps31fd1289.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back