UPVC window stuck shut!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My bathroom window top-opener no longer opens. I turn the handle and one side of the frame is released (I can tell by pushing), but the other rivet-type-thingy has obviously not moved out of the holding bracket.

Is there some trick to getting it open so I can get it repaired?

Sponsored Links
I had the same problem the window fitter slipped a slim scraper/filling knife between the frame and window and tapped the bolt back. Have a look at the other windows to see if it might work for yours.

It depends on how wide the opener is, The wider the easier it will be to open.

You may need to take the glass out to make the sash more flexible.
What I do is push out the side that does unlock with one hand, and use a stiff scraper or flat screwdriver in through the seal on the other side, Then lever it back and forth until it pops open.

Sponsored Links
Update - got glass out and pushed and shoved and wiggled and waggled, alas to no effect. :mad:

Methinks 'tis time for a new window, which is no real hardship as I'll get one that has both top and bottom openers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back