Using second hand windows - building control

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm building an extension and have noticed that there are hundreds of second hand double glazed units listed on eBay/gumtree etc which could save me a few quid. I appreciate there have been changes in u-value requirements for windows several times over the past decade and so I'm assuming that building control would want to see certification/proof that a window was compliant? Anybody had experience of fitting used units? Do most double glazed units meet current regs?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Surely your biggest problem is going to be to find ones which fit your holes.......

Surely your biggest problem is going to be to find ones which fit your holes.......

Usual practice seems to be to brick up the holes to suit the used windows, at least it is in the city where I used to live.

If window replacement had been made subject to Planning rather than Building Control, perhaps there might have been some check to the spread of ill-proportioned, dirty plastic windows that has blighted the nation's architectural heritage.

Having said that, there are usually some nice timber windows available at good prices on Ebay... I bought some unglazed, and had the DG units made.

Cheers
Richard

Yeh as you rightly say I would form my openings to suit the windows I buy. Spoke to somebody today that reckons most double glazed windows would meet current regs although I wouldn't say I know him well enough to rely on this.

Perhaps I'm best just speaking with building control when they are out next.

Sponsored Links
Yeh as you rightly say I would form my openings to suit the windows I buy. Spoke to somebody today that reckons most double glazed windows would meet current regs although I wouldn't say I know him well enough to rely on this.

I'm not certain but I think units that meet current specifications are 24mm deep. Someone who actually knows something might care to correct me.

Cheers
Richard

To meet modern regs they would need to have been made in the last 2 years. They would need to be at least C rated (there should be stickers inside the window saying this).

Having said that it all depends on your building inspector. I have come across a few extensions recently where they have allowed 10 year old windows (defiantly not compliant) to be reused.

Try some local double glazing company's, They may have a bunch of new but miss-measured/ordered windows laying around. My old company used to have hundreds of them (boss really couldn't use a tape measure lol).

If the windows are withing 800mm from the floor or 300mm from a door they will need toughened glass. You will also need trickle vents and all upstairs habitable rooms will need fire egress sized openers with 90 degree hinges.

I'm not certain but I think units that meet current specifications are 24mm deep. Someone who actually knows something might care to correct me.

Cheers
Richard

Most now are 24mm or 28mm glass units but most thickness's could be made compliant in a factory with use of coatings on the glass, Warm edge spacers and gas filled units.

When alls said and done it will come down to the discretion of your BCO unless you have the specification sheet, so speak with the actual BCO who will be inspecting your extension.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back