Window replacement - does it need to be toughened

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening All,

Im looking to replace the lounge bay windows which is currently wooded and very thinly double glazed. I believe they call is a dog leg window, its a large window that has a 45 degree section on the right side (making it like a half bay I guess)

The main window is quite big, 227cm x 144cm, in addition the window acts as a support to the above brick work below the top window (old house, 1969, very odd design not to have a lintel if you ask me)

What Im wondering is if I need this main big window to be toughened, Im pretty sure the currently one isn't so Im assuming from a structural point of view I don't, But Ive read that if the distance from view line to the finish floor is below 800mm, then regulations state it has to be toughened.

My window is around 820mm from finish floor to view line

Sponsored Links
If the glass is to be within 800mm of the floor inside or out it would need to be toughened or if within 300mm of a door.
If its 820mm you dont need it

If the glass is to be within 800mm of the floor inside or out it would need to be toughened or if within 300mm of a door.
If its 820mm you dont need it

For 20mm i'd fit toughened, i'd probably even fit it if it was 900mm maybe a metre too just for peace of mind, its a big bit of glass and will have a fair bit of wind loading

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back