Windows - Damp after removing side strips & plastering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
(re-posted, I'd put this in building section)

Need some advice here.

While re-decorating I removed the plastic side strips from the plastic d/g windows & plastered right up to the window.

Now I have damp patches in the bottom corners of both windows so I guess I did something wrong.

Looking at the windows after removing the strips, I could see approx. 20mm of the outer brickwork then the dpc, there is no gap to speak of, the inner brickwork is turned to butt up to the dpc.

I am thinking now that the damp is tracking through. Although it is only showing damp at the bottom corners & not higher up the window.

I have re-siliconed the outside of the windows.

Can anybody please help with some advice?

I have searched & found similar posts but with nobody saying thanks that solved it, just left open?

Edit: forgot to mention, This is much worse with wind driven rain. (We live top of a hill)

Regards

Russ

Read more: //www.diynot.com/diy/threads/w...-side-strips-plastering.421169/#ixzz3M8fgwiG3

Sponsored Links
If the plaster is bridging the DPC and touching the outer brick skin then yes it will just soak up the moisture from outside.

Do you have any photos from when you took the trims off?

If the plaster is bridging the DPC and touching the outer brick skin then yes it will just soak up the moisture from outside.

Do you have any photos from when you took the trims off?

Hi Gazman, thanks for the reply.

No pics but definitely outer brick showing 20mm on inside, the plastic side trims covered this up. Maybe I should replace them but would prefer not to, it does look better plastered up.

Sounds like I'm going to have to dig out my plastering, but, how would I seal off that 20mm of brick to the dpc so I can re-plaster over it?

Thanks for any solution

Regards

Russ

You did nothing wrong except reveal the poor fit of the windows, the strip would have just hidden the fact moisture getting in where as filling the gap reveals it.

Sponsored Links
Possibly foaming the gap then plastering over might work, or if you could push some dpc between the frame and that 20mm of brick showing and then fold it into the cavity, this should stop the water from wicking from the brick to the reveal

Possibly foaming the gap then plastering over might work, or if you could push some dpc between the frame and that 20mm of brick showing and then fold it into the cavity, this should stop the water from wicking from the brick to the reveal

Hey, thanks for the replies,
I got some expanding foam, if I fill the gap with that will it be ok or will the damp track across the foam?

Regards

Russ

Cured foam is waterproof so you should be alright on that score

Thanks crank, So bridging the dpc is ok.

I dunno what "cured" foam is? I got this expanding foam from B&Q for a tenner, is that same? sounds scary stuff like it could fill the room & suffocate us.

I shall give it a careful go in the morning, thanks for the advice.

Regards

Russ

Don't worry there isn't enough foam in the can to fill the room, so long as you don't squirt it down your mouth I'm pretty sure you won't suffocate.

I've gone with this plan. I siliconed the new dpc to the frame & the existing vertical dpc. The foam can does say it doesn't bond to silicone but there's enough other stuff for it to stick to (hopefully).

I shall post later to let you know if it's been successful, have to wait until I've finish plastered & then a good wind driven rain to be sure.

Thanks to all for your input to date.

That plan seems to have worked ok. I've sent the missus up to re-paint the job.

Thanks to all for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back