28.5" door width!!! HELP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all,

We had a "joiner" do some work in our bedroom and within that he was supposed to cut a hole suitable for a 27" or 686mm door.

Long story short, the door frame has now been fit and has left a hole for a 726mm (28.5") door!!

No idea what to do as it would mean cutting down 3" off a 30" door and really don't want to spend a fortune on having a door made to size ... It was supposed to be for a cheap 27" door!

Any advice please?! :)

Sponsored Links
Pack out the door frame until it suits a 27" door - or add a couple of 3/4" strips to the long edges of a 27" door

How would you go about packing out the door frame? We've also just realised that the height is too short too ... 1960, instead of 1981 !!

726mm is a standard door size easily available, but you will need to raise the height.

Sponsored Links
726mm is a standard door size easily available, but you will need to raise the height.

I thought 762 was the standard? The only 726 I can find are fire doors which are too deep!??

Where can I find them?

The doors in that link are 610mm and 686mm.

Don't see any 726mm.

http://www.diy.com/nav/build/doors/internal-doors/-size%3E_h_2040_x__w_726mm?noCookies=false

As I have highlighted previously ... All the doors I can find in this size are 40mm fire doors. These will not fit our frame, so I am yet to find a solution?

I'm really looking for advice on what I can do to a standard door to make it fit?

Is this a problem that a joiner would not have an issue with, as I've had differing views?

There are 726 x 35mm doors in that link.

The other options you have are...
1 - Pack out the door frame
2 - Have a local joinery shop make you a door.

Might not be as expensive as you think. And will be better quality than far eastern engineered doors made with flimsy veneers glued to softwood.

There are 726 x 35mm doors in that link.

The other options you have are...
1 - Pack out the door frame
2 - Have a local joinery shop make you a door.

Might not be as expensive as you think. And will be better quality than far eastern engineered doors made with flimsy veneers glued to softwood.

Hi norcon,

I hope I don't sound rude, but i have clicked on every door and chose the 726 option, as soon as you do, the page reloads to say 40mm depth. If you have an example of one in particular I would be very grateful.

How would you go about packing out the doorframe. I'm worried that if I attach wood to the doorframe, it won't be as sturdy with a door hitting it?

My mistake.

You want to gain 40mm so the easiest way is to glue and nail on a 20mm slice on both sides.
That's fairly easy to do. And adds strength.

That could be a length of frame run through a planer thicknesser until the desired size is achieved. Five minute job for a joinery shop.

Packing out one side would likely cause problems with the architrave.

Just reduce the door lining with 3/4" timber either side and a standard 27" door will fit, as Jack already suggests, buy a solid door as you will need to shorten the door, though ideally you remove the frame and make the door aperture the correct size.
You are missing vital info in you posts ,have you had door casings or door lining installed?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back