Bed base / slats

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have a metal framed bed which uses wooden spung slats. These have bent and cracked over time from use.

I was thinking of replacing for a sheet of 18mm/25mm ply. Would this be ok, and if so which would be good to use. Would the 25mm be much better then 18mm. I guess I would also need holes for ventilation

Alternatively use some 4x1 timber so as to allow ventilation, but spaced closer.

Btw this is for a single bed. It's not used that much and don't want to fork out for a new one

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Condensation is guaranteed with wide slats/ply. 2" is about as wide as I'd go.

both will do i use 4x1" when i make beds at around 55-75mm spacings
if your bed is a 3ft 6" or less your ok 4ft or more can be expensive because off 15- 45% waste using 4x1"
you need to round off the edges on top otherwise the mattress will fray

you can use use 12mm ply with a 15-25mm hole every 6 to 12 inches in a grid pattern 4" from the edge but make sure you round off the cut edges off the holes

both will do i use 4x1" when i make beds at around 55-75mm spacings
if your bed is a 3ft 6" or less your ok 4ft or more can be expensive because off 15- 45% waste using 4x1"
you need to round off the edges on top otherwise the mattress will fray

you can use use 12mm ply with a 15-25mm hole every 6 to 12 inches in a grid pattern 4" from the edge but make sure you round off the cut edges off the holes

Cheers

Will go get some 21x94mm redwood tomorrow and get it sorted leaving spacing. Will also order some webbing so I can keep them all together at the correct spacing

Sponsored Links
dont forget to champer or round off the top edges as they will "cut" the mattress eventuality
assuming its a 1800 mattress first baton and last at 50mm assuming the metalwork permits
this will give you first slat will finish at 145[50+95]then 65mm gaps will leave the 11th slat at around 50mm

so 1800-50 each end is 1700-1st slat 1605 divided by 10 spaces and slats=160mm[95mm slat and 65mm space]

dont forget to champer or round off the top edges as they will "cut" the mattress eventuality
assuming its a 1800 mattress first baton and last at 50mm assuming the metalwork permits
this will give you first slat will finish at 145[50+95]then 65mm gaps will leave the 11th slat at around 50mm

so 1800-50 each end is 1700-1st slat 1605 divided by 10 spaces and slats=160mm[95mm slat and 65mm space]

Thanks.

Tried b&q by work who don't seem to stock the wood, so will try a larger store tonight, and hopefully get them to cut it to the correct length as well.

I'll use my belt sander to champer the edges. Forgot the cut ends could end up cutting into the mattress.

wood yard and ask for 4x1" par [21x43mm]

cut ends dont tend to be a problem as the mattress curves up at the sides

what is the exact length off the slats
if they are imperial as in 4ft because the timber is metric the timber is slightly less than the foot by around 5mm per foot you need as long a length as possible to the next length for maximum usage

2.4wont give you 2 lengths 2.7 will as will 3.9 with 5.1m being the most economical for slats off 4ft[1220mmx4]=4880m but you wont get that from the diy sheds

what is the exact length off the slats
if they are imperial as in 4ft because the timber is metric the timber is slightly less than the foot by around 5mm per foot you need as long a length as possible to the next length for maximum usage

2.4wont give you 2 lengths 2.7 will as will 3.9 with 5.1m being the most economical for slats off 4ft[1220mmx4]=4880m

Width between the sides where slats will sit is 87cm, which is why I opted for 3.6m, as this will give me 4 lengths.

@big-all. - thanks for the info

Job all done now, and bed is stronger then when it was new. I hate the stupid weak spung slats. I ended up using electric planer to create a chamfer and then sanded it round.

Now thinking of doing the kingsize bed I have as well before they break. The ones on the single bed have caused the matress to sag in the places where slats broke.

I've just measured other bed, and its 154.5cm rail to rail. Gonna be a lot more wastage then with the single

look at a center support fixed to the frame at each end if possible a leg to the floor at around 1/3-2/3 to spread the load then full width spar then another or a 2part joined central alternating along the bed

if you dont have many halves to play with put them alternated at the base end as thats where the least load is

look at a center support fixed to the frame at each end if possible a leg to the floor at around 1/3-2/3 to spread the load then full width spar then another or a 2part joined central alternating along the bed

if you dont have many halves to play with put them alternated at the base end as thats where the least load is

There's already a midway support so should be ok

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back