Breakfast bar where there is a radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I'm thinking of putting a breakfast bar in my kitchen to replace a table and leave more room in the kitchen.

The problem I have is that the wall I want to put it on has got a radiator on it.

I like the look of the floating type breakfast bars where you don't have any legs at the front.

This pic on ebay shows the sort of thing I was thinking for the bar:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-breakfa...den_Stools_Breakfast_Bars&hash=item3384271649

But that would be against the wall. Would it be possible to use a standard worktop to make the top, sitting on top of standard kitchen base units which are cut down to only be half the depth?

First of all would that be secure enough, obviously the worktop would be fixed to the wall as much as possible and to the base units which would also be fixed to the wall - I was just worried about if it was leant on or sat on at the front. What do you think? Also would it give enough leg room on bar stools?

Second the cupboards would then cover the radiator - which would look better but is there anyway to keep the radiator functioning? Would a long vent across the top of the worktop be enough?

Any thoughts would be great!

Thanks

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
It would need a lot of anchoring - ideally you would want 2-3 times the width of the breakfast bar on the worktops and then have a lot more anchors / fasteners on the units.
You also probably need quite a heavy material (quartz, granite or toughened glass), which brings even more challenges re anchoring.

Then it would still be quite easy, I suspect, for someone to dislodge it by sitting on it (probably with quite disastrous results if it's really heavy).

I have a rad mounted on end of cupboards with a counter overhanging it but requires legs.Better to move the rad elsewhere.
You could use wall units instead of base units they are nearly half the depth and then overhang with a standard worktop , the wider the better.
Fitted securely it will easily be strong enough.
If you don't have anywhere else for the rad it could be replaced with a floor mounted unit, some incorporate a fan which pushes the warm air out at floor level.
http://www.wickes.co.uk/central-heating-plinth-heater/invt/198389/

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back