Broken Table Leg, Need a Quick / Easy Fix !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have broken a table leg, and need a quick / easy fix that I can ideally do in 24 hours.

The leg has been on its way out for a while and has finally snapped , my instict is to use wood glue and clamp / cable tie it together until it is dry but would this be enough?

Here's a photo
//media.diynot.com/203000_202553_76255_20988873_thumb.jpg
//media.diynot.com/203000_202553_76256_65467487_thumb.jpg
//media.diynot.com/203000_202553_76257_21294406_thumb.jpg
The leg is clean snapped in two, so at the minute the table is just resting on the leg, the leg is not attatched

Any advice appreciated, please bare in mind I am a young girl with little / no DIY experience / Tools !

Thanks

Sponsored Links
do you have wood glue
clamps
a drill or screws
or any other tools you think may be relivent??

you should be ok
dry fit to make sure it fits well then glue and clamp using card or wood to prevent damaging the wood and that will be strong enough in most instances

Sponsored Links
Leave it balancing like that, then when your parents come home, ask them to put something - anything - heavy on the table for you. when it breaks, ask them if they are ok and look surprised / puzzled :D

Best turn table upside down before gluing as it will relieve any strain on the repair.
If you have no clamp a simple piece of rope wrapped, tied and then a timber twisted thru like a tourniquet will provide a perfect clamp.

poly glue(gorrilla glue) with clamps will make it stronger then the timber itself.

how you cramp it is the critical part. Use PVA white woodworking glue ie a glue thats thin and doesnt bulk when the break is put togther. Also, critical that the vertical alignment of the break is 100% in line. You would need approx 5 or 6 cramps to do this including a couple to keep the flat faces level toward the top of the leg. Use blocks beneath cramps for the flat surfaces and folded up thick cardboard for the the rounded parts. Turn table upside down. Its a 30 min job for a pro.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back