Building a large cutting table

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am preparing to build a 5'5" x 13" cutting table to cut industrial fabrics. In the past I have used MDF for my table top but was wondering first if MDF can be treated to last longer for this kind of purpose or is there a better board for this application?
Any suggestions?
Thanks MaddyD

Sponsored Links
A simpler approach might well be to use melamine-faced chipboard (or melamine as they call it in the USA) with some form of edge protection. That will outlive any MDF surface

6 mm hardboard cover taped over the top of existing one is all you require, renewable for ever and a day...pinenot :)

Sponsored Links
6 mm hardboard cover taped over the top of existing one is all you require, renewable for ever and a day...pinenot :)
If the industrial fabric is being cut on industrial machinery it would destroy hardboard with one use. ;)

As hardboard and MDF are basically the same material, only hardboard is high density and MDF medium density, I fail to see your reasoning :confused: ...pinenot :)

This being a textiles area I've made-up a few cutting table tops in the distant past for use with both shears and foam rubber cutters (like the Bosch GSG300) and you're right, PineNot, the customer did indeed specify a tempered masonite (a sort of hardboard) top covering. They still got a 12mm hardwood lipping all round to hold the masonite in place - that and double-sided carpet tape

As hardboard and MDF are basically the same material, only hardboard is high density and MDF medium density, I fail to see your reasoning :confused: ...pinenot :)
Neither is suitable that's why I suggested the cutting matt on top as it will outlast any sheet timber alone.
Masonite is much tougher but could blunt cutting edges in use.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back