Building a wooden Patio Roof (photo)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
//www.diynot.com/network/allanlaw/albums/

Im looking to install a roof over our patio.

Ive bought six 10ft fence posts and installed 3 of them (see photo)

Im about to install the other 3 (ill cut shorter) posts

Im not sure the best way to attach each post together for strength and for roof structure, ive bought fence rail for this.

Should I cut the shorter 3 post at an angle?

Any help would be appreciated?

Thanks

al

Sponsored Links
Don't cut any of the posts until after you have all the other timbers on.
3x2, 4x2 would be best

What is the roof material?

Don't cut any of the posts until after you have all the other timbers on.
3x2, 4x2 would be best

What is the roof material?

Timbers on? Do you mean cut the posts once I've cemented them in the holes? I've bought fence rail 3.6m and its 75mm x 35mm.

I haven't bought roof material yet, was thinking of plywood then nail Western Red Cedar Wood Shakes 16'' to the plywood, would this work ok, or is there a better option?

The wind will be hitting the structure from right to left looking at the photo, thats why i was thinking of lowering the right hand side to help block the wind out during winter.

al

[/url]

Yeh I would leave cutting the posts until later on, incase you want to change the angles

If you're using timber shingles you will need a fairly decent slope on it

Sponsored Links
Here's the latest photo:

//media.diynot.com/45000_44788_93885_22739902_thumb.jpg
[/img]

I've now got all 6 posts cemented in, im going to angle cut all 6 posts with a circular saw (two cuts per post).

Still need to work out what angle I need? If possible the same angle as my hut in the back ground would be my prefered.

My option for roof is wooden shingles (see above post), is there a better option?

Fix the rails that will support the roof before you cut the posts.

You can use whatever you like the look of for the roof, be it felt, felt shingles, wood shingles, tiles, slates, corrugated iron/clear plastic/bitumen, box profile steel, fibreglass etc etc

Different roofing materials need different minimum slopes

The angle of your shed roof wouldn't be enough for timber shingles

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back