Butt hinge sizes? Getting the gap right!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all.

I was wondering if anyone could explain the best way I can determine the gap I would get from a hinge.

Some doors I've hung I allow about 2mm either side and with the thin 3 inch hinges the door shuts nice.

But when hanging a 4 inch butt hinge which is thicker the door doesn't shut, it hits the jamb.

I know it's a thicker hinge, obviously, but there must be a way of determing the right gap.

Any help would be great

Thank you

Sponsored Links
The chiselled rebate that the hinge fits in to, needs to be the same depth as the thickness of the hinge metal.....if you can follow that one?
John :)

is this for a new door and frame?or just a new door going into an old frame?
you may need to increase your leading edge on the door if its an old frame?.

is this for a new door and frame?or just a new door going into an old frame?
you may need to increase your leading edge on the door if its an old frame?.

Hi Gregers.

It's a new door in a new door lining, solid core door etc so I was going to use the 4 inch butts. Just want to frame the lining to the right width that's all.

Usually I hang the hollow core doors and use the 3 inch butts, thin hinges.
I always rebate the hinges flush to the door and lining.

Sponsored Links
then you really shouldnt be having any problems at all,apart from giving the door a little tickle on the leading edge.
aslong as the lining has gone in plumb and square and not inwind then there should be enough gap on the door without planning it to death :rolleyes:
if you do have a spot of trouble just sink the hinges in a bit more.

Letting in butt hinges into a door requires you to measure accurately, the thickness of the hinge at the knuckle this determines the amount you you let it into the door/post. 4" butts tend to be used on thicker doors i.e. 1 3/4" (45mm) door blanks, fire doors etc. and because of this they inevitably require a bit more clearance than there thinner internal counterparts.
Have a llok at the sketch, this is the way I set up letting in both door and frame leaves of the hinges. Now lets assume you want 4mm clearance all round, you start by measuring the thickness of the hinge at the knuckle, from outer hinge leaf face to the centre of the hinge pin, by calculation this determines the setting for a marking gauge to mark the door face for the depth of gap require i.e. how much do you leave sticking out after letting in the hinges door leaf. Check the sketches above and I think that is clear, but let me know if it's not to you...pinenot :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back