Can't stick worktop edging

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having a bit of a mare with worktop edgings.

Firstly they're not the standard 1mm laminate edgings that you just impact adhesive on and nearly trim and file.

The problem is they are a thick plastic, probably 2-3mm thick and they are concave slightly, probably from how they have been stored etc. But this means that when you try to stick them the pressure of the concave just lifts it off the worktop (down the center) , even leaving it overnight with weight on it.

The next issue is you cannot use standard Evo Stick impact adhesive because the solvent literally eats at the pattern and removes it from the edging ( the pattern is on the inside of the edging for some reason.

So issues are, I'm having difficulty cutting and trimming it Because it's too thick.

And I can't even stick it to the worktop.

I'm going to get some unika tape and try that but I think I need to heat the edging up and remove the concave first.

Any suggestions?
Anyone seen this issue before?

Sponsored Links
Have you spoken to the supplier about the shape and what adhesive do they recommend?

Yeah called them and apparently one of their own fitters had the same issue so he went to magnet and got some heavy duty double sided sticky tape. I'm not sure he has the issue of the concave though.

Sounds like a shoddy product to me do you have to use it?
Is it a match for the worktop or just a contrasting edge, I would feel inclined to go with normal edging, surely D tape will cause a gap between the edge and the strip.

Any chance of a picture of the stuff or the trade name?

Sponsored Links
I see your problem anything that will stick well to plastic like adhesive for UPVC will damage the finish, does seem like the D tape is the only answer perhaps put the strip in the airing cupboard ovrernight or warming gently with a hairdrier might help too.

Is it your own house or are you doing it for a customer? If so certainly worth making it plain to them the problem in case the D tape fails in a few months.

Cwurly";p="3084971 said:
I'm having a bit of a mare with worktop edgings.

Firstly they're not the standard 1mm laminate edgings that you just impact adhesive on and nearly trim and file.

The problem is they are a thick plastic, probably 2-3mm thick and they are concave slightly, probably from how they have been stored etc. But this means that when you try to stick them the pressure of the concave just lifts it off the worktop (down the center) , even leaving it overnight with weight on it.

The next issue is you cannot use standard Evo Stick impact adhesive because the solvent literally eats at the pattern and removes it from the edging ( the pattern is on the inside of the edging for some reason.

So issues are, I'm having difficulty cutting and trimming it Because it's too thick.

And I can't even stick it to the worktop.

I'm going to get some unika tape and try that but I think I need to heat the edging up and remove the concave first.

Any suggestions?
Anyone seen this issue before?

If there is a pattern to inside edge why would it matter if it is damaged as it's not visible?

Can't see any worktop in the pic's?
Strip fits to side so how can you weight it with anything?[/b]

Thanks for your help footprint. Appreciate that - will
Give the hair dryer a go.

Foxhole - first pic is the front of the worktop - machined edge.
and the second is the back of the supplied edging strip.

Luckily it is my own house yeah. I had a fitter cut me the worktops but he hasnt come across these strips himself before. I have a few pals who are kitchen fitters and they too haven't seen it.

The only issue with it being me own house is I like things to be just right and any imperfections I'll be looking at it everyday! It will wind me up. Ha

Foxhole - the pattern, stainless effect at the bottom and graphite on top is actually printed to the back of the edging. Once impact adhesive is applied it strips the colour. I aren't making it up lol

Thanks for your help footprint. Appreciate that - will
Give the hair dryer a go.

Foxhole - first pic is the front of the worktop - machined edge.
and the second is the back of the supplied edging strip.

Luckily it is my own house yeah. I had a fitter cut me the worktops but he hasnt come across these strips himself before. I have a few pals who are kitchen fitters and they too haven't seen it.

The only issue with it being me own house is I like things to be just right and any imperfections I'll be looking at it everyday! It will wind me up. Ha
If that's the worktop whats the dark strip half way down it?
The second pic looks like just cheap plastic angle not worktop edging?
What type of worktop is it.
Any clearer photo's would help.

According to manufacturer you will need hot melt glue, nothing else is suitable.
Adhesives
Doellken ABS edgebands can be processed using any standard hot melt adhesives (EVA, PA, APAO, PUR). Adhesives resist- ant to high temperatures, in tandem with the low-shrink mate- rials formula of Doellken ABS give good adhesion, even on edgebands of thickness in excess of 3 mm. Adhesives that are particularly heat resistant are recommended for applications in- volving high temperatures, in the vicinity of cooking appliances in kitchens or for exporting furniture in containers, for instance. Even before gluing, Doellken APS edgebands have very low shrinkage characteristics. Another good feature of ABS edgebands in this regard is their resistance to warping (dimensional stability). Softening of the material only occurs above 94 (± 2) °C (Vicat B 50).
When gluing, checks always need to be carried out that there is sufficient glue in the container to ensure constant temperature as it is being applied.
The working temperature of the adhesive varies between 90 and 220 °C depending on type.
It should be borne in mind that the thermostats in the hot melt container are often inaccurate and may vary consider- ably from the actual temperature on the application roller. It is recommended that the temperature be taken on the adhesive application roller.
Doellken ABS edgebands cannot be glued using ordinary white glues.

Appreciate that foxhole. Thanks. I'll get some clearer pics tomorrow. Although I'm not sure it will help further.

I'll have a look for some glue.

Thanks again

http://www.rapidonline.com/mechanical-fastenings-fixings/mitre-mate-instant-bonding-kit-67724/

I used this to stick on thick edging, didn't have any concave type issues though.

With that stuff its bonded within 10 seconds of making contact, and its very, very strong.

Not cheap though.
That's acid based and would likely destroy the pattern.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back