Coffee Table Restoration

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having recently bought a house ive become the owner of the following coffee table. its a bit knocked about and looking at it it looks abit cheap, however i wouldn't mind having a go at trying to make it good again, and look in place in a more modern home.

It looks like it might be some kind or mdf with a veneer, Can anyone tell me if they think its worth having a go at?

I was thinking about sanding it down and trying to lighten the colour or painting it.

any suggestions would be great as im a complete beginner.

thanks

2014-06-30222257.jpg

2014-06-30222306.jpg

2014-06-30222314.jpg

2014-06-30222318.jpg

2014-06-30222322.jpg

2014-06-30222437.jpg

2014-06-30222443.jpg

2014-06-30222450.jpg

2014-06-30222457.jpg

2014-06-30222528.jpg

2014-06-30222535.jpg

if i can make anything of it, i may take the gold glass surrounds out and spray them black or silver as the gold wont really work in the room.

Sponsored Links
It looks solid enough if you are happy with a slightly distressed look it's worth a try. Main problem will be getting an even colour where the scratches have gone deep or through to the board beneath.

Try a used teabag on some of the worst areas and see if it helps to blend them in.

If it works a light sand and some clear satin varnish might spruce it up a bit. ;)

I was wondering if i could cover the top in a thin veneer of some wood or other say 3 or 5mm thick piece. something along the lines of glue it on, then cut out the wholes for the glass, then use some of the cut out to lift the glass back to the correct height.

would give the top a routed look. the rest of the table doesn't look too... bad.

if i could refinish it somehow

I suppose its probably not work it and would be better painted if not binned

Sponsored Links
I'd lift out the glass and hit the top with a belt sander, then random orbital down to 600 grit.
Then re-rout the sides.
Then hand sand the rest and varnish.

Then reinstate the glass with a sand blasted artistic inlay design of your choice. :mrgreen:

All things are possible.

The base looks like its all solid wood - sand - re-finish.

The top looks cheaply veneered, you can buy thin veneers that you can stick on, saw down the sides to rip of the moulding and stick on new.

Lot of effort though, unless you want it to do it as a project for the fun of it, I wouldnt bother.

I would just rub some stain over the whole top, to blend in the scuffed areas, and give it a wax polish. Then it'll at least still be what it is. In my opinion attempting to paint it or turn it into something else will just make it look more cr*p.

By the way, is that leggings or an ankle tattoo?

Cheers
Richard

Well, I showed the pics to my mrs who is a big fan of 50s to 70s furniture and she said that it has the potential to be a nice table :D

So, we think you should go for it!

I don't have any questions about the leggings, but could think of one about the sandals, if we're doing fashion queries? :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back