door lining - allow for underlay/carpet

Sponsored Links
All depends if you know what sort of carpet and underlay the client is having. For all you know they could be having a thick pile carpet and superduper underlay, or could be having a cheapo rubber backed polypropylene carpet mm's thin, with newspaper underneath. ;)
I usually allow 1/2" (12mm) then offer to come back and trim the door further if necessary.

the answer is "nothing"

misterhelpful is correct.

you don't leave a gap under walls, either.

Sponsored Links
I think the OP means how much longer than the door do you make the lining?. You wouldn't hang a door and leave no gap under the door for carpets , would you?. (I'm assuming that anyone installing a door lining, knows it goes all the way down, unless someone has planned ahead and is having engineered oak flooring) ;) ;)

PS, I'd like to see the builder that can build a wall that doesn't start at finished floor level, but 1/2" above it. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

you don't make the lining longer than the door, you make the door shorter than the lining.

It helps to put a hardwood threshold under the door, to reduce any change of height. I'd say 12.7mm is a good starting point if the room is going to be carpeted. Hanging the door on lift-off hinges makes it far easier and quicker to do any subsequent adjustment, which far outweighs any additional hinge cost.

you don't make the lining longer than the door, you make the door shorter than the lining.

It helps to put a hardwood threshold under the door, to reduce any change of height. I'd say 12.7mm is a good starting point if the room is going to be carpeted. Hanging the door on lift-off hinges makes it far easier and quicker to do any subsequent adjustment, which far outweighs any additional hinge cost.

You make the lining longer than the door.... You don't cut doors down if you don't need too..

John...

Hear Hear 27neth. That's what I said, but Mr D doesn't listen. He's obviously a dafty diyer.

Ahh, just like my present council gaff. (and all metric sized doors) ;) ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back