Guide price for hanging an external wood door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've bought a new solid wood/oak door and am looking to get it hung.

I'm supplying the door, the 3-point multi-point locking mechanism and the handles.

The existing frame will stay and will need the new locks cut into it (the existing lock is just a simple single yale).

The new door obviously needs trimming to fit, the new multi-point lock cutting into it and the handles fitting.

Hinges need supplying

Just looking for a rough idea on price to see if it's worth bothering the local trades or if I should attempt it myself!

I understand this is very subjective, but if the consensus is that's a full days work for 2 people costing £LOL then I might try myself :)

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
The 3-point multi-point locking mechanism and handles, is this the same type as a UPVC door lock?

Post a picture or link to the lock.

Andy

Sponsored Links
SHMBO wanted a multi point lock. I dispatched myself to google, the yale was the result :(

that lock is for solid or laminate which i assume is plastic finished door

what you have is cheap doors with a crappy core made from hundreds off randomly glued together bits off timber with a thin veneer off your choice

if your door was around £200 then it may be half decent ;)
i would charge about £120-150 to fit that lock but there again i dont need the work :D
you may get it done for sub £100 if someone is desperate or a cowboy ;)

that lock is for solid or laminate which i assume is plastic finished door

what you have is cheap doors with a crappy core made from hundreds off randomly glued together bits off timber with a thin veneer off your choice

if your door was around £200 then it may be half decent ;)
i would charge about £120-150 to fit that lock but there again i dont need the work :D
you may get it done for sub £100 if someone is desperate or a cowboy ;)
Did I miss something, OP said it was a solid door?

The door is solid wood, of course it might be made from blocks of off-cut with a laminate, but I don't know.

It cost ~£180 so I hope it's half decent.

A joiner was working for a neighbour and on his lunch break quoted £210 to hang the door and fit the lock.

That seems quite expensive, but I can see there would be alot of work involved

The door is solid wood, of course it might be made from blocks of off-cut with a laminate, but I don't know.

A joiner was working for a neighbour and on his lunch break quoted £210 to hang the door and fit the lock.

its all in the wording really
"solid wood" means no voids or wood substitutes like chipboard or mdf
"solid oak" as above and has to be all oak
"solid wood oak finish"as top above but covered with oak
"solid wood with dark ok effect" any old wood stained
"solid door oak effect finish" could be chipboard mdf reformed wood and a plastic layer over printed paper like worktops and laminate flooring without a wood wear layer

hanging the door is probably the easy bit,but bear in mind he will have to cut a rebate/letter plate and drip bar etc,fitting the lock will no doubt take a lot more time,also the fitter has to allow the murphys law factor into it,so may well allow more time.

A good joiner can hang a door much better than anyone else, as well as faster.

Put it this way, I paid £300, to have mine fitted - was a rush job though, a few days before christmas after I have come home pi55ed one night and discovered I had lost my keys and tried to kick my way in and proceeded to demolish the door..... :oops: I would imagine at a normal time you woule expect to pay £150 -£200. Mine was trim to size, cut and fit door lock, hinges and letterbox and drip edge and fit. HTH

Olias

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back