Is this frame strong enough for plasterboard?

Right, bit like pulling teeth in some ways, but I suppose I'm the guilty one here, not asking the right questions that is.
So it's a bathroom ceiling your doing, did you buy the green moisture resistant boards or ordinary white ones? it' academic really, as both will perform well enough.
OK, going back to your original post and in particular the photo of the existing joists/battens, there are 4 in number running the length of the room, so forget everything I've said/sketched so far, the procedure for you should be as follows :-
Ensurer each room end of joists are in filled with dwangs (3 each end = 6 in total) each cut to fit it's particular gap/spacing, only one other row of dwangs is required across the room, between the joist and in line with the p/board cuts running across the room. You can put another row in which would help stiffen the framework, but is not really ness. But I would cushion using 25 x 39 mm as dwangs, 50 x 50 mm would be my choice, but if you intend going ahead with the thinner material, I would pre-drill these on the skew and screw them into the ex joists, bearing in mind everything I've said above, here's a sketch -
[I've overlaid your p/board sketch onto the assumed ex frame set up colouring the ex joists green and an extra one (if it's actually required?) to catch the central cut! and coloured this blue. But i wonder whether you cant twin this with one of the ex, to give you a wider fixing to the central cut(s)] ...pinenot :)

Thanks pinenot. Really appreciate it.

So basically everywhere the boards are going to be ending/joining another, I will need to screw them in to the dwangs / support frame.

By 3 dwangs each side, do you mean smaller pieces of timber (cut to required size) attaching each long piece of timber together, going across the room?

I think I may put an additional beam in where the boards will meet in the middle.

Thanks again

Mark

Sponsored Links
Dwangs/noggins call them what you will, but essentially short bits cut to fit between the ex joists...pinenot :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back