Kitchen Worktop - walls not square

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm DIYing a U shaped kitchen. The walls are straight and flat and I've done the floor and cabinets. Now its come to fitting the worktop its clear that the walls aren't square. I have the worktop and its been professionally mitred.

The gap between worktop and wall is too big to caulk or cover with a splash back. Should I sand or maybe recess the wall so that the worktop will slide in? Or I could scribe the edge of the worktop and cut it to make it flush with the wall?

If I shove the worktop against the walls then it puts one of the joints out (see pic). Is it feasible to scribe and sand down this joint to make it fit?

View media item 46679

Sponsored Links
You sure it's been professionally mitred? Any K/F worth his salt would have done the mitre slightly out of square to allow for the walls. ;) ;)

Leave the joint alone and either chase the one end into the plaster, or if too much split the difference and chase half into the wall and then overhang the other end a bit more

Yeah splitting the diff is working thanks. Might sand the wall a bit more but looks much better now.

The corner is 89.5° rather than 90°. Wasn't noticable for tiling and cabinets but putting a 2m worktop along it made a 17.5mm gap!

Sponsored Links
if the joints have been cut off site,then they shouldve been done at 90 degrees,so you will have to get the worktops/kitchen to fit your walls,keep adjusting the tops into the walls (as you are doing)until you are happy with the result.

It would be great if you could post pictures up of your dilemma.

I will greatly then after looking at your 'problems' give you a step by step course of action to take so that you finish with the kitchen you have visioned from day one.

Wasn't noticable for tiling

Any reason you're putting the worktop in after tiling. Normally it's the other way round so the tiles cover such unsquareness.

*Unless of course you've only tiled down to above where the worktop is going and sliding the worktop in under the tiles.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back