Making secure shutters for shed windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm converting a new shed to an office, insulated and OSB lined which is a work in progress at the moment.

I want to make some internal shutters out of OSB as well so scumbags have a harder time breaking in than a single piece of glass.

I'm looking for advice on how to secure them, which hinges are best for the job, what to use to lock them shut, even the latch to use to hold them open etc. as I'm a DIY novice so not got much of a clue about what I'm doing! All, of course, with security in mind.

Pictures to give a better idea of the windows, I'm thinking the shutters need to be hinged at the top and secured to the ceiling when open?

Sponsored Links
you could have them outside, hinged at the bottom of the windows, and bolt them shut from inside. That will also protect the glass. I'd go for WBP ply with batten stiffeners round the edges.

Shutters need to be exterior, wire mesh on interior and ideally change glass for wired.

As stupid as it sounds, the shed is a nice looking T&G job from the outside so I don't want to ruin it with external shutters, hence working out internal shutter ideas.

I realise someone may smash the glass but that's not too expensive in the whole scheme of things if an internal shutter then prevents them getting in and thieving all of my belongings.

With this in mind, any ideas for internal fitment?

Sponsored Links
What about some concrete reinforcing mesh? 10mm or bigger bars.
These could be fixed using hooks and some sort of padlock to hold them on place.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back