Mdf 'tongue and groove' on a staircase.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have MDF tongue and groove to dado level in my hallway and would like to continue the effect up the staircase. I am daunted by the idea of cutting a big panel to the angle of the stairs but I could probably manage if I could find individual panels. Any one know where to find these?

Sponsored Links
I've used EASIPANEL, which is similar to what foxhole has suggested but is thinner and has a woodgrain effect, so if you are matching existing panelling it probably won't be suitable.

I bought it from Homebase a few years back after trying to find indivdual lengths of MDF T&G without success. The only place that said they could supply single lengths at the time was Jewson and lets just say, it wasn't cheap! :eek:

It would probably be easier (and maybe cheaper) and if you could get single lengths as, due to the angle of the stairs, you will end up with a lot of large unusable offcuts if you use sheets.

Thank you both. I looked up the easipanel website as I am pretty sure that's what we have already. Unfortunately, they don't do single strips so I guess I will be trying to cut the big panels at just the right angle for the stairs, gulp!!!

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately, they don't do single strips so I guess I will be trying to cut the big panels at just the right angle for the stairs, gulp!!!

It's not that difficult really - just use a bevel gauge or angle finder to get the angle of the stair string and transfer it to the bottom of the panel, mark and cut it. The same angle will be at the top of the panel so you can just measure the required height and again mark the angle on the panel and cut it. You could also mark a line on the wall going up the stairs at required height and, once the bottom of the panel is cut, hold it in place and transfer the line onto it.

The only tricky bit should be where the stair string angle changes to the ground floor/landing levels, but with a little planning and measuring, it shouldn't be too difficult. If push comes to shove, you could use a roll of lining paper to cut a template. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back