Metabo random orbital sander

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all, I need to change the backing pad on my Metabo random orbital sander (SXE450). I've got the new pad, but I can't shift the bolt to get the old one off! The manual says nothing, except "remove the fixing bolt"....

I'm assuming it's a conventional right hand thread - would that be right for these kind of sanders? I'm wondering if I've been applying too much pressure with the sander and the bolt has tightened itself up somehow. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance
Nick

Sponsored Links
Yes its a conventional thread.
5mm allen wrench and ring spanner looped over the end for extra leverage will shift it.

A socket allen wrench would be better though.
Takes a good pull whilst holding the pad from turning. Great sander btw.

Thanks for that norcon. I eventually got it off - had to buy a nice new, sharp 5mm hex bit and gripped it will a stillson wrench. Still took a bit of effort!

After that, i decided I wouldn't tighten it too much when putting the new pad on. Big mistake - after 10 mins of use the pad came loose and was briefly spinning free. This caused some wear to the two flats on the central rotor which retain the pad in place. It's still working, but I reckon I'll be needing some more spares fairly soon

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back