not enough depth for skirting@

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone got any thoughts on how to fit some skirting where there's not enough depth? Any thoughts would be appreciated! Picture below. ..

The door is opening back against this bit so the skirting would restrict the door and be very proud of the frame.

I was thinking of using a small bit of ply wood as that's nice and thin but have reservations over how it will look!

Sponsored Links
I had exactly the same situation on one of my doors so I simply feathered the skirting down , starting at full thickness around six inches from the frame so that it gives a clear space for the door to swing through.

Either add to door lining[will reduce door width].
Or change the way door opens [you have 4 options on a frame does another work?]
Though neither will look good as you have no where to place architrave.
If the door is a standard 30" I would reduce to 27" door which would remove the problem.
Though this should have been foreseen and door frame moved.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all.

It was anticipated ans would have been ok but didn't check up on the plasterers for a couple of days!

So... There is no other way the door can open.

I don't have the tools to "thin" the skirting.

Any other options?

Has anyone got any thoughts on how to fit some skirting where there's not enough depth? Any thoughts would be appreciated! Picture below. ..

The door is opening back against this bit so the skirting would restrict the door and be very proud of the frame.

I was thinking of using a small bit of ply wood as that's nice and thin but have reservations over how it will look!

Why the step in the wall?
I'd slit the plaster at the skirting level where the profile begins and run it on through to the frame.

Ha... that would be the easiest way!

Although wouldn't offer the wall much protection! Think I'm going to have to go with the plywood route...

Ha... that would be the easiest way!

Although wouldn't offer the wall much protection! Think I'm going to have to go with the plywood route...

I don't have the tools to "thin" the skirting.

Any other options?
Buy a hand plane and learn how to sharpen it then how to use it........ Then you'll have the tools youi need to do the job. Simple!

Had the same problem - solution was to chop a bit of the bottom of the door off. Unless you're completely OCD then who gives a monkeys if it looks a bit "bespoke"? :LOL: :LOL:

Yea it would not be practical to "thin" the skirting as it would just look wrong as well as being very hard to achieve..

I have got a plane but ruled that option out...

And Dextraneous - thanks for the suggestion but don't think I'll go with that route lol

Had the same problem - solution was to chop a bit of the bottom of the door off. Unless you're completely OCD then who gives a monkeys if it looks a bit "bespoke"? :LOL: :LOL:

Seen that a few times , a door notched to go around an obstruction and I seem to recall seeing on the internet ( it might even have been linked from this site) a door that had been cut to pass a wash hand basin :eek:

So it looks like it's back to your original idea of a piece of ply or perhaps thin mdf depending on the finish you are applying.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back