Obscure question about studwork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How do you make sure that a stud wall you build out from an existing wall is perfectly perpendicular to it ?

I use a laser level which gives me perfect plumb lines but what it can't tell me is if the line itself is 90 degrees to the wall? So I can build a stud but always at a slightly angle to the wall it is being built off.. How do I find out 90 degree perfect perpendicular lines? And furthermore how do I find it when the wall being built off isn't plumb such as an old stone cob external wall ? Many thanks pros

Sponsored Links
you always go for 100%vertical where possible with perhaps the fist and last screwed to the wall each side

just make sure if a wall is uneven you measure from the widest part to allow scribing

When you say perpendicular, are you asking about how plumb it is or the angle from the wall i.e. 90 deg.? ...pinenot :)

Sponsored Links
Fix a timber to the point you want to build from packing to get it plumb/level.
Then measure out an equilateral triangle from the base[all sides same length] giving you a 90 degree angle at the wall.

How do I measure and mark the equilateral triangle from the base of a timber fix point at the wall ?

Say for example I mounted the laser on the tripod at the corner so that I have one line to fix to, and then rotate the laser 90 degrees by swiveling the tripod .. I still have the issue of not knowing how much I have swiveled the tripod, the laser can't tell me how many degrees I have turned.. so it's guess work

How do I measure and mark the equilateral triangle from the base of a timber fix point at the wall ?
Probably easier for you to make a large square , piece of sheet material [ply is ideal] and measure out from corner 1m on both edges join points and cut out the triangle , this can then be place against the wall to give a 90 degree angle.

To draw/set a perpendicular line from to a rough wall, ping a chalk line on the floor, equidistant from the wall undulations. If you mark along this line 3 feet and mark up from the same starting point, but this time approx perpendicular to the chalk line, but draw an arc on the floor this time. Now draw an arc from the 3 foot mark to cut the other arc at exactly 5 feet length, join a line between the place where the arcs cut and the first point, this is exactly perpendicular to the wall.
Measure from this to the point where you want to place your stud frame, and to mark the right angle to this, either mark it with a square from the perpendicular line already on the floor, or do the same exercise on the right angle wall...pinenot :)

Ok so what I did earlier today was as follows:

1 )Measured how much I wanted the depth and length of store cupboard to be. In this case I wanted 24 inches from the wall and length 30 something inches (I've forgotten) ..

2) Using a laser level I ran a pencil line along the wall from floor to ceiling using a straight edge to mark the line. I did on the faces of both walls.

3) At the base of these lines, I then marked with a cross on the concrete and drilled a small screw at the center of the cross into the concrete.

4) I then used the tape measure to hook onto the head of each screw and swung around making a pencil line on the floor. I did this for both lines and made an intersection on the floor with a pencil.

5) Using the laser level, I then lined up the existing lines marked on the wall with the intersection point on the floor and removed the two screws.

6) Using a straight edge, I marked the ceiling and floor along the laser line

7) I then screwed the ceiling plate and then the sole plate, fitting it with frame fixings

8) I then fitted my upstands using the laser level to make sure that each was perfectly plumb.

9) To check the corner, I used a carpenters square to make sure - and it was spot on.

I'm going to re-read this thread carefully now and make absolute sense of you guys methods

Lay a straight edge (yellow) close to wall at corner and mark a line A-B.
Lay a straight edge close to adjacent wall, use a square to make perpendicular to A-B and mark a line A-C.
Mark point D so that A-D = B-C, and check by measurement that A-C = B-D and A-B = C-D
Mark lines C-D and B-D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back