Options for coating planed timber

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have some new treated planed timber cladding, installed horizontally. It's a bit bright and I'd like to tone it down.
Having tried dark creocote on an offcut, it's pretty obvious the smoothness is an issue as it it barely registered! Does any one have some suggestions for suitable products outside of painting?

Sponsored Links
"Smoothness is an issue - bearably registered??" are you referring to planer marks showing once the new wood is coated and the creosote not showing dark enough??
As for the former, this is meant for external use and is not much of a problem when uses that way, but if it's exceptionally bad, you've bought it from the wrong supplier/mill.
Creosote is no longer available to the general public, due to it's ecological and personal dangers, wood stains or preservatives have replaced it in general, although you can get creosote substitutes, I guess you have one of the latter and it's not very good, why not try an other! ...pinenot :)

Creocote is a creosote substitute, but yes, I think in this case it's just not up to the job. Much better on rough sawn wood.

The planing and quality of the timber is excellent - the barely registered bit was about colour saturation, apologies for not being clearer. The timber is just too smooth and new for the creocote to stain.

I'm after a recommendation rather than buying a bundle of useless products. Basically something that will adhere/stain new, smooth, treated timber and ideally have some preservative of waterproofing ability. Might end up opting for a basic stain and then coating over that.

Thanks,

When I referred to stain, this has become a buzzword (sorry for any misconception) to waterproofing, microporous wood stain products i.e . they stain the wood, protect against moisture ingress but allows the timber to breath. The only flaw I've ever seen, was the knotting coating used stood out, almost like a measles spots on one manufacturers windows (hundreds of them) Brand names such as Sandolin, Sikkens, Ronseal Etc. are but a few on offer, but I doubt whether many of the window manufacturers use them (not eco friendly enough and to expensive) Womsleys, Osmos, Eco paints are eco alternatives, if you fancy giving them a go...pinenot :)

Sponsored Links
Went for cuprinol's 'ducksback' in the end. Two coats and it comes out a good rich colour but with the grain of the wood still visible. Quite impressed to be honest.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back