Photos of Hardwood Patio Door concerns...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm am in the process of buying a new house and would like an informed opinion on if these doors have been fitted correctly?

Apparently the windows are painted hardwood so perhaps these doors are too.

I have not seen doors before with these 3 metal plates on show, are they a security feature,surely these plates should be hidden.

Also the sill appears to be metal, I find it odd the screws are on show, is this the correct way of fitting?

Does anyone know what make the doors are so I can check with the manufacturer?

All your help is really appreciated, it's bests if I have some info before the builder tries to fog me off.

Sponsored Links
Only my opinion this but those doors look like a DIY creation from a box of left over bits......the sill is metal, cladding over a non existing one maybe, and those hinges look pretty prone to attack - as if they were originally intended to be fitted on the inside?
Lets hear what the others say!
John :)

Nothing odd here, it's an outward opening door so strike plates will be visible, just less secure than inward opening door as hinges are exposed.Threshold is not metal but has a metal cover plate.

Sponsored Links
only thing I'd wonder about is possible water ingress where sill meets frame?

I could 'throw me cap' through those mitres and as for that metal sill cover water will get underneath and will rot in yrs to come....in other words a 'cheap shight job'

Good pictures thanks.

Do you mind if I use them as examples when demonstrating how to make a door that will probably leak, rot at the joints, and cause the double glazed units to fail prematurely.

Hi my fellow contributors. This topic was first raised a little time back but I could not resist a comment now on first seeing it. I'm with Burnerman on this,
those hinges look like the ones with inaccessible fixings when closed but whose hinge pin can be knocked out from below with a nail punch and hammer (definitely internal). An 'Espag' lock system would come with 5 point locking with hidden receivers, not these visible galvanised steel plates ( what an eye sore) and what do the plastic buttons cover?
Metal cover to sill must be an after thought or a quick fix. The external beads would be prone to premature decay and are a security risk. Replace door and frame ASAP in my opinion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back