Repainting old doors - how much to sand off?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon

My house is approx 120 years old, the doors look like they're at least half that, if not more

I'm going to re-paint a different colour so my question is how far back I need to sand?

I plan to use a primer prior to painting over in eggshell, and know that I need to get at least some of the previous paint off. Do I just need to sand lightly, in order for the primer to stick, or do I need to go hardcore and get all the paint off?

I have an electric sander as well as a heat gun, but I'd guess that these walls are easily pre 60's so figure they could well be lead based, albeit how many layers under I don't know

Is it a case of the more paint off, the better the result?

Sponsored Links
From a painting point of view just sand off any bumps, curtains or other runs, when its smooth undercoat and paint.
If however the doors have nice moulding the best effect will be gained by stripping and starting from scratch, as you point out the paint will have a high lead content so chemical stripping will be the safest way to avoid fumes.

Cool thanks. Not bothered about the mouldings or anything so will just go at it with sandpaper, get it all smooth

Undercoat wise, do I need to use a specific primer?

Sponsored Links
You will not need primer unless you break through to bare wood an undercoat will be a good idea to boost the finish of the top coats.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back