Repair to kitchen laminate work surface

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm attempting to repair two holes in a laminated kitchen work surface that the previous occupants in their infinite wisdom cut through it!

The holes are a 28mm diameter circle and a 42mm edge square.

I have sourced a sample of matching laminate and am intending to first plug the holes with a shaped wooden plug, fill to the depth of the laminate, glue the laminate in over the filler and make good with colourfill.

Any suggestions for a) what filler to use? It needs to be "workable" so I can scrape it away to the correct depth using a wood chisel but also strong enough to bond to the laminate. b) what glue to use to fix the laminate to the filler. It needs to be strong and waterproof.

Sponsored Links
I have to agree - less hassle to just replace the tops.

Assuming that you can make a neat job of removing the laminate to apply the patch (not easy - try cutting laminate and you'll see why), you'll then need to remove the existing adhesive and fill (2-pack filler is best because it is harder and sinks less as it cures) perfectly to the level of the chipboard surface. Difficult. In post-forming the top (the process of wrapping laminate around a curved edge and bonding it) originally they often use something like RF (resorcinol formaldehyde), UF (urea formaldehyde) or PUR (polyurethan-reactivating) glue all of which create a very thin glue line - much thinner than contact adhesive. None of those glues can be used in the repair situation you are in even assuming you could get hold of then in DIY quantities, and the only real option is to use contact adhesive, a more traditional approach still used in shop-fitting for covering counter units, etc. This, however, creates a much thicker glue line meaning that your laminate patch will end up standing proud of the originla laminate....... That is assuming that you can manage to cut a perfect fit patch to fit the repair area to start with. In the past I have laid up laminate mosaics on shop fit jobs myself which was a time consuming and fiddly task - but I wouldn't even think about patching-in the way you are considering; therein lies madness!

Sponsored Links
Replacing the worktops wasn't an option for me. I don't have the gear or the skills to do it and getting someone in was too expensive. So I did pretty much what I said in my first post. It wasn't quick and I needed much patience but it worked our really well (and really cheap!)

So I thought I would update this thread with more detail just in case it comes up on a search for anyone wanting to do similar.

Most important was getting a large enough piece of matching laminate to effect the repairs. Edging strips were too narrow for the largest hole so I contacted the supplier (name printed on the underside of the worktop) and sent them a photo. They sent me (for nothing) an A5 sample of the matching worktop. I thanked them. A lot!

I then carefully cut two near-perfect squares of laminate from this using a steel ruler, scalpel then a stanley knife and lightly sanded the edges. These were to be the patches for the holes. I also used them as templates to cut squares around the holes in the worktop, again using a steel ruler, scalpel then a stanley knife. This took a long time - two or three hours. I found that the "waste" pieces of laminate (ie that on the work surface between the irregular holes and the squares I cut using the templates) lifted out quite easily using a scalpel, stanley knife or small chisel on the edge especially if I scored the waste sections from the hole to the cut I had already made.

Next I made plugs for the "meat" of the holes from some spare flooring grade chipboard I had. I had traced templates of the holes before I cut the laminate out and used these to cut over-sized plugs with a jigsaw. I sanded them down until they fitted snugly into the holes (took a long time) and glued them in place with Elmers wood glue, being very careful to get the top of the plugs flush with the particle board that was revealed when I took the waste laminate out.

For good measure I put a thin coat of Elmers over the whole of the exposed particle board as it's waterproof and I hoped would provide some protection from water penetration. I then left the whole lot to dry for 24h.

Next, I dry fitted the patches into the holes and removed whatever was necessary to get a good fit very , very slightly below the good work surface (and certainly not proud.) To do this I used my scalpel, medium sandpaper and a small but very sharp chisel, being very careful not to lift any more laminate. I also sanded the edges and corners of the patches to make the fit as good as possible.

When I was happy with the fit the patches were fixed over the plugged work surface using Evostick Impact contact adhesive and held in place until I was sure the bond was good.

Finally, I used colorfill (following the colorfill instructions) to fill the gaps between the patches and the good work surface. I did this in two passes, leaving 24h to dry between each.

The results? Very impressive and near invisible to the casual glance.

Time will tell if they will stay stuck and remain watertight. I'll post an update in six months time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back