Replacing Old Banister / Handrail Securely

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've added the photos below to show where i have removed the old banister.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16614954@N05/sets/72157629071363160/

I would like some advice on how i would be able to a fix new banister securely. Only about a metre and a half. The old one was a little bit wobbly and needed updated so i ripped it out.

you will see from the gap left in the wallpaper that i will need a half / quater of a post at this end to allow the gap in the wall paper to be covered.The old banister had one post which dropped below floor level and was fixed to the surrounding are with a bolt which went through and was fixed with a nut tightened against it (no idea how the bolt is fixed but it is still there should i need to use this option again) Ideally i would like to just fix it to the surface in some way perhaps with a few long screws but any advice appreciated as i am not experienced in fitting these things.

thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I do not normally advise anyone to enter B n Q but they do a patent handrail system which uses hidden brackets to hold it together. The system includes half newels and stub newels, pretty well every thing you need.

Sponsored Links
Is it ok just to fix to the wall and floor below as well mate? If so how can I make is really secure?H

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back