Saw horse height

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there an optimum height for horses?

And while you are answering - which is your favourite design?

Sponsored Links
fill ur boots,

http://www.familyhandyman.com/carpentry/sawhorse-plans/view-all

about 14 years ago i managed to buy some folding saw horses from travis perkins but they stopped selling them,nice and sturdy and still going strong,a lot better then the crud they sell now,fold up to about 4" square and about 4' long and take up a hell of a lot less room the traditional horses.

The hight of your knee when bent plus an inch or so for good pressure. My design was always the traditional site joiners, here in Scotland anyway. Made from whitewood flooring, whichever was available site to site, two legs knee height (mine was 27") two leg feet, a base and two side, finally a top.

1. 1 x top = 30"
2. 2 x sides = 26"
3. 1 x base = 24 1/2"
4. 2 x legs = 27"
5. 2 x leg bases

The design -
- ...pinenot :)

The hight of your knee when bent plus an inch or so for good pressure. My design was always the traditional site joiners, here in Scotland anyway. Made from whitewood flooring, whichever was available site to site, two legs knee height (mine was 27") two leg feet, a base and two side, finally a top.

1. 1 x top = 30"
2. 2 x sides = 26"
3. 1 x base = 24 1/2"
4. 2 x legs = 27"
5. 2 x leg bases

The design -
- ...pinenot :)
Agree ;) I use any scraps of timber I have as it's going in the bin eventually.

Sponsored Links
Has anyone tried the I-Beam one?

I do like a notch in the top to hold a door etc when planing!
John :)

I preferred screwing on a piece of 3/4" ply or similar with the check cut out. when I think about it, I remembering one with a pair of slips, set the door thickness apart and screwed on one leg, must have had slot cut in the top's end above that [memory's not as good as it used to be] ...pinenot ;)

I do like a notch in the top to hold a door etc when planing!
John :)

ive made myself a decent door block for doing this, its about 2' long angled on 1 side for the large wedge and the other side is vertical,glued n screwed all out of 4x2.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back