Solid or engineered pine doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to replace all 15 internal doors in my house with pine paneled doors. I'd like to achieve a natural look and feel using a wax finish. Every door I can see under £100 is engineered and the manufacturer says they are not suitable for wax or oil finish. I suspect a well made engineered door allowed to acclimatize before fitting would take a wax and not split/warp, but I'd have invalidated the guarantee by not painting or staining it.

My other problem with engineered doors are the tiny amount you can trim off them. My doors range from 762mm to 753mm width and from 1980mm to 1955mm. The width is just within the tolerance of most engineered pine doors, but to fit the shortest door I've got to trim a 26mm off top and bottom combined and that is not within the allowed limits. I suspect I could take 20mm off the bottom of an engineered door without it falling apart but again I've blown the guarantee. Actually there is only one door that short, so if necessary I'll cut it down and take my chances.

Ideally I'd like to find solid morticed doors which I can wax and cut down without blowing the guarantee, but nobody seems to sell them. I found one guy on line who sells lovely solid, morticed pitch pine doors but pitch is darker than the effect I wanted and at £160 per door blows the budget.

Any ideas where I should go to find decent, preferably sold, pine doors under £100 a go I could wax (I'm discounting B&Q cheap pine, nasty nasty doors). Alternatively would something like OSMO Wax give the look and feel of a real traditional wax finish and satisfy an engineered door manufacturer?

BTW I am hanging them myself, so suppliers who only sell to the trade like Howdens are no good to me.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back