Sorting a large gap between door molding and plasterboard?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all,

I am currently renovating an oldish house and am have turned a previous linen cupboard and walk in wardrobe (two separate rooms) into one room intended to be an office.

I removed all the old lath and plaster and replaced it with plasterboard which is thinner by about a quarter inch. I am now at the point where I need to put the door moldings back on but, because the plasterboard is thinner than the old plaster, there is a gap too big to fill with caulk around all the door moldings.

I was wondering what thoughts were on the best way to sort this? I am considering sanding back the door frame at an angle so the molding sits flush against the wall (even though this would leave gaps at the top corners of the molding) or just filling it with plaster and seeing if I can sand it but I don't think this would look great.

Any advice would be hugely appreciated and if the words above aren't as clear as they were in my head then I'm happy to add photos.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
I've bought no end of beading for other parts of the room but that hadn't even occurred to me!

I suppose the only difficulty would be getting one that fits precisely but certainly worth looking into. I can't see the wood for the trees, sometimes...

Thanks for your thoughts, very much appreciated.

You could infill with ramin strip or even leave it proud to give a stepped architrave.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back