Stupid question about square washers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is probably a stupid question but what is the purpose of square washers over round washers on timber?

Do the square washers have to be level against then timber, I.e. top of the washer is level and flat?

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
The square washer should be between the round washer and the wood. Its purpose is to spread the load over a larger area and prevent the nut/washer combination from burying itself into the wood.

Round washer, I didn't think another washer would be needed with a big square washer on it.

Just started to think tonight if aswell as spreading the load is there another reason instead of just a very large round washer.

Sponsored Links
It all depends on the timber, purpose of the bolt etc as to whether you need load spreaders or not. As to shape, I wouldn't think it matters too much, though the square ones are usually at least 3mm thick whereas round ones are very much less - unless you've found something special.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back