Thin stud wall for shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've found posts similar to this, but not exactly as I need, so please bear with me.

I need to construct a stud wall no more than 50mm thick, finished, including plasterboard and skim one side, Aquapanel the other.

It will form a side wall to a shower enclosure (2400mm high x 800mm wide x 50mm thick). No pipes run through its height. Just a wastepipe through it at the bottom. However it will need to withstand a shower door closing against it (hung from opposite wall).

Can anyone suggest a construction that will be strong/rigid enough to withstand the door (and probably the odd bump from somebody's bum in the shower)?

What about laminating some timber sheets (ply?) or (hate to say this in a woodworking forum) steel framework?

Suggestions appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Are you saying just the wall section has to be maximum 25mm??

B

Have updated post to correct and include dimensions - wall needs to be 50mm thick finished (not 25mm) as previously stated.

plywood, not a chance of a stud that thin being any good.

Steel, possibly, seems overkill.

You could maybe create a stress skin panel 25mm thin, but not worth the risk imo, just make the wall from solid plywood.

Sponsored Links
Just noticed your recent post.

That's why I asked because the skim, plasterboard and aquapanel alone would (by my reckoning) be 25mm!!

I will leave it to the experts to advise but FWIW you will have to remember that the wall will need to be able to support the aquapanel adequately as well.

Those aquapanel sheet ain't lightweight!!!

B

You could maybe create a stress skin panel 25mm thin, but not worth the risk imo, just make the wall from solid plywood.
Actually I lived in a house with 50mm walls, surprising robust, 2 skins of PB & 25x50 battens, I would never have believed it had I not seen it for myself.

Yes, we've looked into glass, but, one, it's expensive and, two, there's a bath backing onto the other side of the wall. Glass wall would leave a 40mm gap between glass and bath, which is not enough to get behind to clean and not sure it would look that good either.

No mention of glass in OP if you omit important details you won't get useful replies.
If it abuts a bath you will need aqua panel both sides assuming you want to tile?

Actually I lived in a house with 50mm walls, surprising robust, 2 skins of PB & 25x50 battens, I would never have believed it had I not seen it for myself.

Yes, thinking about it I see you are right.

Close batten centres, good quality battens, bit of glue as well as screws.

Still wouldn't feel comfortable with it though, much rather just plywood it.

Whatever route the OP chooses, worth thinking that plaster can crush slightly around fixings, so using glue as well will help make the plasterboard much more a part of the structure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back