timber garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am seriously considering building a large timber garage, 6mx6m, I had someone lined up to do the work but he can't complete the job.
Couple of concerns I have are what to use as sheathing on the outside of the walls...OSB or ply? (the chap who was going to build it said he wouldn't recommend ANY form of external timber sheathing which I thought strange)...the same question re materials applies to the roof, there seems to be plenty of on line opinions but no real hard and fast guidance.
On a more basic level would I better screwing the 2"x4" frame work together or using ring shank nails, I was going to invest in a nail gun but as it looks like I would need one for first fix and another for the proposed timber cladding I can't really justify the cost...I'm not in a massive rush so it will be done as and when I have time but hopefully done within a month or so depending on weather.
Any advice/tips much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I think there's been a misunderstanding re sheathing. Did you explain that you were going to clad over the top? (preferably with a breather membrane and battens between)

Anyway, 9 or 11mm osb for the wall sheathing, or 9mm ply.

18mm T&G osb3 for the roof. or 12mm-18mm wbp ply.

For the framework, bang it all together with 100mm nails.

Thanks Deluks...he knew about the cladding and batons (to create an air gap) but he said he wouldn't recommend using any form of sheathing beneath the breathable membrane as it would rot out over time...thing is, every timber frame building I've looked at does have some form of extra sheathing...might be belt n braces but it seems to make sense to have the additional layer but not if its going to be an issue long term?

Sheet the inside with 11mm osb, insulate if you want and then membrane and external cladding. Give you a flat surface to mount shelving etc too inside.
Wire under external cladding or in void makes it more secure as more difficult to break through.

Sponsored Links
Bit of an update..... I've cracked on with the garage plans...mainly 4x2's with some additional 6x2's above the door and window openings...all nailed together with 100mm nails..I was pretty pleased with how it was all going.then my know-it-all father-in-law came round and said he was surprised that I didn't use galv nails(there had to be something!) I said I didn't think it was an issue as all the frame work would end up covered anyway..." yes but those nail will still rust"...so have I made a massive balls up?(bit late now)

do not worry your fine
if its wet enough to rust through the nails it will rot the wood

in other words the structure is leaking and not repaired for several years

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back