what am i doing wrong, masons mitre

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

A lot of the kitchens I fit end up having worktops that are different widths due to batoning base units off the wall by different thicknesses. So I set the jig for the female cut say 647mm for width of return worktop and router, then set the jig for the male cut and router, when I bring the two mitres together they align perfectly but i end up with an offset on the female cut of about 1.5mm at the 90 degree of the post form edges. Or in otherwords the male shoots past the female at the intersection of the 90 degree causing a 1.5mm gap?

I changed my clamps thinking it could be them causing the problem, but it made no difference, has anybody experienced this problem. The jig is not damaged albeit I didn't spend a fortune on it, could it be the jig?.

Cheers for any replies

Sponsored Links
No idea what the make is, cost me £50 reduced from £75 apparently, which answers the questions really.

Better go and buy a decent one then can you recommend any that aren'tgoing to break the bank, iI could probably go to £150 - £200, cheers

Hello all,

A lot of the kitchens I fit end up having worktops that are different widths due to batoning base units off the wall by different thicknesses. So I set the jig for the female cut say 647mm for width of return worktop and router, then set the jig for the male cut and router, when I bring the two mitres together they align perfectly but i end up with an offset on the female cut of about 1.5mm at the 90 degree of the post form edges. Or in otherwords the male shoots past the female at the intersection of the 90 degree causing a 1.5mm gap?

I changed my clamps thinking it could be them causing the problem, but it made no difference, has anybody experienced this problem. The jig is not damaged albeit I didn't spend a fortune on it, could it be the jig?.

Cheers for any replies
Why baton base units, just causes problems.?

Sponsored Links
When you do the male cut place a 1.5mm shim between the worktop and locater peg. Try that on a scrap piece.
If that doesn't cure the problem then the jig is likely at fault.

Why do so many kitchen fitters trash their routers cutters doing the cut instead of using a jig saw?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back