What saw do i need?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
best hand saw/type of saw do I need to cut tenon cheeks (down end grain) cleanly/swiftly?

Thanks you.

Sponsored Links
Believe it or not, a tenon saw :p
However if it's more of a carpentry project, a cross cut hand saw will work well.
John :)

Well I currently have a relatively new brass backed tenon saw. Nothing spectacular (Spear & Jackson jobbie - 15tpi I think).
Reason I ask is that it seems a rather slow process to cut a 3 or 4 inch tenon shoulder down the grain. It seems more like its sanding the kerf out rather than cutting it.
Looking through the axminster book and there are many types of saw.....I was wondering if any of these would be better. What TPI should I need for this task? All advice welcome. Thanks guys.

15 tpi is about typical for a tenon type back saw.......of course, they blunt very quickly indeed when cutting chipboard, MDF or laminate due to the high adhesive content!
I'd consider a 22" cross cut hand saw, but it all depends on how accurate you need the tenons to be, and the size of the timber you will be cutting.
Of course you can get electric cross cut mitre saws which will do the job nicely, once you have set the cutting depth.
John :)

Sponsored Links
15tpi is a bit fine for ripping down big tenons, it's more for cross cutting the shoulders. 12 tpi would be better, and better still is a tenon saw with rip teeth. As always it depends on how much hand work you intend to do. If you do a lot it would pay to have a 15 for the cross cuts, and say a 12 with rip teeth.
Having said that if the saw is sharp and set right it should be OK. I used to cut a fair few small tenons in oak by hand, and I used a fairly fine tenon saw with ordinary cross cut teeth.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back