What sheet material for kitchen cabinets?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks

New to the forum but would really appreciate some advice please. I'm about to undertake a new kitchen extension, bottom to top!

I will be making the kitchen cabinets from scratch and I was wondering what sheet material you would recommend? I have made a few bits and would say that I am confident that I can do a good job... I have to!

Having used pine on other projects it is too soft and seems to warp like crazy. So I'm plumping for sheet material carcasses and tulip poplar face frames/doors/draw fronts/kick board. I have a biscuit jointer and a pocket hole jig. I'm leaning towards biscuits at the moment but I'm wondering what to use. Water resistant MDF or Ply (and what ply should I be looking at?) Each has their own merits but I'm wondering what those in the know would use? The MDF was advised to me by a kitchen maker, it is stable and relatively cheap, however I'm worried about its long term durability and how it holds a joint.

All/any advise greatly welcomed.

Many thanks

Leo

Sponsored Links
Hi Folks

New to the forum but would really appreciate some advice please. I'm about to undertake a new kitchen extension, bottom to top!

I will be making the kitchen cabinets from scratch and I was wondering what sheet material you would recommend? I have made a few bits and would say that I am confident that I can do a good job... I have to!

Having used pine on other projects it is too soft and seems to warp like crazy. So I'm plumping for sheet material carcasses and tulip poplar face frames/doors/draw fronts/kick board. I have a biscuit jointer and a pocket hole jig. I'm leaning towards biscuits at the moment but I'm wondering what to use. Water resistant MDF or Ply (and what ply should I be looking at?) Each has their own merits but I'm wondering what those in the know would use? The MDF was advised to me by a kitchen maker, it is stable and relatively cheap, however I'm worried about its long term durability and how it holds a joint.

All/any advise greatly welcomed.

Many thanks

Leo

How big is the kitchen you are going to be building? Not being funny but the cost for the full thing will cost you a fair fortune in materials/fixings and not to mention the time and getting it to be perfect without anything being slightly wonky for the doors/hinges/runners etc. Most cabinets are 18mm thick for the carcases.

Do you have a room design? for the cupboards needed, sizes etc?

I'm going to be fitting our kitchen soon however I picked it up from a supplier down the road from you :)

The side of Ply isn't exactly going to look great when you open your doors and see all the layers.

Do you have a budget you need to work to? or have an idea etc?

Depends how fussy you are. Making cabinets from scratch is a lot of hassle, especially drawer units. You may be better off using standard chipboard or mdf carcasses and fashioning a front for them in nicer materials.

Many 'bespoke' kitchens are done this way. The front is often made with dowel jointed sections of hardwood. Means you can use all the usual standard fittings but still get the designer look.

Edge glued and biscuited MDF is very strong as long as it doesn't get soaked. Biscuit joints make alignment very easy.

god luck!

Kevin.

Melamine faced MDF has a nicer feel to it than melamine chipboard, use 18mm thickness, and iron-on edging to match the doors.
As mentioned, biscuits and glue are strong, if you can put a few mdf screws in where they won't be seen then even better.

I agree about getting ready made carcasses though, failing that buy a single flat pack carcass as a template for your mdf. Use dowel markers to transfer the holes across to your chosen material.

Sponsored Links
Depends how fussy you are. Making cabinets from scratch is a lot of hassle, especially drawer units. You may be better off using standard chipboard or mdf carcasses and fashioning a front for them in nicer materials.

Many 'bespoke' kitchens are done this way. The front is often made with dowel jointed sections of hardwood. Means you can use all the usual standard fittings but still get the designer look.

Edge glued and biscuited MDF is very strong as long as it doesn't get soaked. Biscuit joints make alignment very easy.

god luck!

Kevin.

I agree with Kevin, There will be a lot of material costs and an even longer build time! Carcasses don't have to be expensive, and when ordered with the doors, you know that everything is going to fit as it should and look spot on!

Above all of this, there is also that reassured feeling that these carcasses were built and secured to last!

Good luck, but check out pre built carcasses :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back