What would be the best sander?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently sanding the stairs, banister, rails etc right back down to the wood and it's taking a long time. I can't get the belt sander on any of it as it's too big.

I have a decent detail sander, and a not so decent multi sander which is really struggling so I'm pretty much using the detail for all the work.

From what I understand, a random orbital sander would be better for removing the layers of paint, but I'm edging towards an orbital/ 1/4 sheet sander as the square edges will get me right in to the nooks.

However, will it be up to the job or will it be similar to my detail sander?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
is it not possible to use a hot air gun then sand?

Sorry I should have said this is what I'm doing, but it's leaving the last layer of paint or two. I can't scrape it off and it ends up burning the wood.

Just need to know if the orbital sander will be ok, or whether it'll do a similar job to my detail.

An orbital sander will work to an extent, But you will still need the detail sander to get into the corners/ tight areas. I done the same to my staircase last year when I refurbed it, just takes time mate!

Sponsored Links
Best to sand by hand around detail.
If you are scorching the wood then you are leaving heat on too long, should be able to remove paint back to bare timber with a heat gun leaving very little to clean up with 000 wire wool and white spirit.

O have also done a two storey victorian staircase and its just time consuming.

Eventually we found the most effective was Nitromorhs (sp??). Its horrible stuff but is good at moving stubborn old paint.

The other tip is to use a cabinet scraper plane on flat bits. This will allow you to scrape off paint without raising the grain of the timber. Comes off in big flakes if you get the angle right. Then use the stipper for the stubborn patches.

If the paint is older than 1970's then dont use a hot air gun on it unless you've tested for lead paint and found it ok.

Kevin.

You need a 1/4 sheet sander with some Dulux (bright yellow) 80 grit paper.

I got an Erbauer from Screwfix for £35. Works a treat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back