Where can I buy 1lb cut Shellac or simliar product?

ABN

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Been reading some web articles out using Shellac to reduce the effect of blotching when dying/oiling cherry.

Most of the sites were American and the products mentioned don’t seem to be available here in the UK.

Think I need 1lb cut shellac but the only thing I found available here is the solid shellac which you then have dissolve accordingly.

So where can you buy 1lb cut shellac or something that will do the same job? Needs to be clear so that it doesn’t colour the cherry.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Don’t have means to weigh the shellac without going out and buying some scales hence why pre mixed shellac is to be preferred.

Looking up the page not sure what the difference is between the White polish, Transparent polish and the Sanding sealer and which would be best for my application I.e. have least effect on the colour of the wood whilst still allowing the grain pop that oiling gives.

Also notice that they don’t give the cut of the first 2. But they look like they are homebrewed so expect the retailer will know, have to telephone them.

Must admit was hoping for a “generic” product that I could perhaps get locally rather than having the wait of shipping and paying nearly as much in postage as the product costs.

Sponsored Links
A 1lbs cut is quite a weak mix so you won't get an off the shelf polish that weak. You could buy one with a known cut and then dilute it to get what you want.

You can buy small digital gram scales of e-bay for about a fiver, often sold for weighing gold and odd powders ;)

J

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back