Wood Glue - Sticking Planks together on woodwork bench frame

Sponsored Links
yep fully agree
"D4" my choice
but do not glue
batons and planks well supported and screwed and a sacraficial top off perhaps mdf/worktop/ply that can be changed when worn

Sponsored Links
PVA is probably the best value for money at around £12 for 5lts but good for internal work only
Cascamite only rated MR , will serve you well, but can be used for external joinery if over painted, if your not using glue on a regular basis get just enough for the job the shelf life isnt great as moisture starts the chemical reaction and use a face mask when mixing
PU is great for exterior use with great gap filling capabilities be warned some types are very short pot life you could be down to 5 mins you need to be very organised pre construction.

external grade PVA you can get it in most shops (B&Q, Jewsons etc) i thing evo-stik put it in a blue bottle

I don't plan on taking it apart so I want it absolutely solid. I don't think one screw (even 10cm long) will keep it together without support.[/quote]
Would hope you plan to use more than one screw? ;)

I don't plan on taking it apart so I want it absolutely solid. I don't think one screw (even 10cm long) will keep it together without support.
Would hope you plan to use more than one screw? ;)[/quote]

To secure each piece of wood...

Aerolite 306 is probably the best glue you can get, stronger than the parent wood.

Wotan

Aerolite 306 is probably the best glue you can get, stronger than the parent wood.

Wotan

Blimey haven't used aerolite for years ,I always thought it was a bit smelly
It's still available, it was developed for glueing the Mosquito twin engined fighter bomber together.
The formaldehyde is a bit nasty if you don't wear gloves.

Wotan

Sheepdisease";p="2619890 said:
I am making a woodworking bench and securing it with a combination of Evo-stik and screws. Can anyone please tell me if I can save myself a few quid and buy something which is water resistant and equally good (or better) for less money?= quote]

If you have have a local reclaimed timber yard nearby have a look for a solid core door, or if you want a small bench top a suitable cutting.
These are fully laminate softwood cores covered with thin moisture resistant plywood skins, both sides, and have very little movement over their lifespan...pinenot :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back