Worktop Bubble

I suspect that the problem isn't necessarily the joint alone, but may well also be the sink cut-out. I don't like doing joints that close to a sink cutout (or for that matter any other cutout) and if at all possible I'd have done the joint so that it ran parallel with the front of the worktop in which the sink sits (in other words at right angles to the joint as shown). That said it may have been impossible due to worktop lengths, access, etc. In addition to getting the joint right, and ideally glued up and left overnight to set (because it is such a "tight" joint), the fitter should have sealed the edges of the cutout around the sink with something like gloss paint or silicone sealant to prevent water wicking through the cut edge of the worktop towards the joint

I have dealt with this sort of problem a couple of times where that has been the cause of the failure

Sponsored Links
I had the same thing a few years back. Within a few weeks water got under the mason mitre joint and swelled up the worktop. The fitter blamed the manufacturer of the worktop which I now know to be incorrect and it was due to his faulty workmanship.

if the fitter supplied the worktop then its his problem
if you supplied the worktop its a full refit at your expence assuming it was correctly fitted

There was nothing wrong with the worktop. I have a bit more experience with these things now I'm older and looking back it's obvious the worktop wasn't done correctly. The guy was supposedly an established kitchen fitter but he had his own home made mitre jig!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back