Worktop Joint near sink...again.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Having a new kitchen delivered on Wednesday and hopefully getting a joiner in on Friday to cut my worktops.

However the other half insists we turn the sink around to what it is currently putting the draining board in the corner and this is throwing up a few problems like having to move sockets but mainly the issue of joining the worktop here.

Now if we ignore the issue of water ingress etc etc I am really just looking for a solution to bolting the thing together, the sink will be right next to the join, unfortunately once the sink hole is cut there will only be about 55mm of meat for the bolts, less with the mitre, not really enough and I have concerns about it being very weak.

I have read some ideas about gluing and bolting together, then removing the bolts and cutting the hole last and adding plates underneath for support, not a bad idea but still leaves 3 weak spots in the worktop.

I propose the below idea, with terrible sketch, and I'm sure I am not the first, not cutting the entire hole for the sink, leaving plenty of meat for a proper join with bolts and then cutting some small holes between them for the sink clamps to go through.

Reasonable idea? Or should continue trying to get the missus to change her mind...?

Many Thanks,
Graham

Sponsored Links
get her to change her mind - why would you want the sink right in the corner anyway?

Sorry I didn't make that clear, it's the draining board in the corner. The sink itself is in the same place it always has been.

I'm with andymet87, you should really find a better place and convince your wife, I just went round to a job on Friday, the join is slightly further from the draining board than the situation in your diagram and their sink is also in a corner, the wife has detested its position there forever and the joint has failed. Your worktop is doomed with your current proposal.

Sponsored Links
In the house I've just moved out of the sink was near the corner... you will forever hate having to stand in the corner of your kitchen using the sink - it gets surprisingly annoying over time.

There must be a better position for it to go?!

Who washes up and who dries in your house? Whoever dries won't be able to do so while the washer-up is in action as they can't reach the drainer. Your wife's solution is totally impractical and needs rethinking.

Not to mention the eventual failure of the joint and consequent replacement of worktop.

I have managed to convince her that round the other way away from the join is the only sensible option.

Good.

Although the Frankie fast fix sink system might have allowed you to do it. The system is barbs and teeth that spring fit, so there's no sink clamps to fiddle about with.

Most work top joins are suggested as a minimum of 200mm+ from any work top holes (hob, sink), structurally it's just to weak otherwise.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back