Yikes.. door frames double the price of the door!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Quite surprised to find that a nice oak glazed door can be had for about £130 - surely the lions share, I thought. Then I went to try and find door cases and architrave and blow me, the wood that goes round the door is as much again as the door was!

Anyone got any tips for taking the sting out of the bill? I never envisaged that I'd be looking at £400 per door when all the ironmongery is thrown in too

Sponsored Links
Get a hardwood timber yard to supply sections sawn and planed to size and assemble your own with planted stops. Architraves should be standard profiles, although oak may need to be made to order and so involve a wait

Go for standard soft wood door sets and stops topped of with MDF archtrave and paint it. Nice oak door in a well finished painted frame looks just fine. Not only is a hardwood frame expensive but harder to install (thus higher labour costs too),

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back