Garden Playhouse Project

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I bought some plans for a Cedar playhouse from the states a couple of years ago and finally got round to starting it in the spring. Although its been difficult to get the hours in with the weather!

Have used redwood instead of cedar as my budget wouldn't stretch quite far enough but here are a few pics of progress so far. Hoping to finish it in the next few weeks.

I also have bought cedar shingles for the roof but am struggling to find any nails short enough to fix them in place with as the roofing board is only 12mm thick, any suggestions? May just end up pre-drilling and screwing them in at this rate...

Any feedback welcome as im a bit of a novice at this sort of thing as much as I enjoy it!

Sponsored Links
Very nice, put a door on it PDQ or you will find a group of immigrants move in :)

Haha yes you're not wrong! Door is ready just undecided on the best hinges to go for...decisions decisions!

Sponsored Links
I have to say I totally underestimated how long it would take!

Around 80-100 hours so far...

And about £300ish. Used 21mm TGV cladding that I got very cheap off eBay, the rest of the structure is cls studwork timber and I have cedar shingles for the roof.

Got the architrave on round the doors and windows at the weekend, wanted to do more but the weather has been so rotten!

Thanks, it's pretty solid, told the other half we can't move house for at least 10 years as there's no way you could move it without a crane!

Will post up some more pics when finished, hopefully a couple of weeks weather permitting!

Hi Luke, please see my previous reply re: cost/time. Hard to say exactly as I just do an hour here and there when I have the time and when it's dry!

I sent the cutting list from the plans to a local timber merchant and they costed it at about £500, but have managed to reduce that by sourcing myself from eBay and checking prices in b&q, wickes etc

Managed to get the cedar shingles on this weekend inbetween the thunder and hailstorms! Will get some updated pics up tomorrow. Just windows to go in now really, balustrade and a few finishing touches...

I'm very inspired by this thread! I'm very annoyed at myself for not being a bit more sensible and building one over summer but fingers crossed it won't be too wet over the next couple of weeks! To say you're a novice your work has been very professional so far! I think I prefer redwood instead of the cedar to be honest, the colour seems to look more natural in my eyes. More expensive may not necessarily mean better! I might begin my own adventure when spring arrives, I've always gone to this place here for Outdoor Playhouses which have always been good for a quick fix (though by no means cheap...) but to be honest the plastic just makes the garden look tacky and now that my husband is down to full time, maybe he can spend more time planning and designing the playhouse!

But yes very well done on your playhouse, I'll be staying on this thread for your updates!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back